Cmbp now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PinkWaters, Oct 2, 2013.

1. PinkWaters macrumors member

PinkWaters

I am thinking about buying a cmbp 13 the base line and upgrading it myself cause I need a terabyte internal storage.
    Should I wait for haswell refresh? Provided that it will take long time to be available in my country. That's if the classic line got updated of course.
    So what you think guys?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there's a chance the cmbp will be dropped at the next refresh...

3. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

4. monokitty macrumors regular

I find it unlikely that the cMBP will be refreshed. If it isn't discontinued entirely, it will probably stay the same as is. But I'm guessing it will be removed from Apple's product line. I recently purchased the $1449 15-inch MacBook Pro from Apple's refurbished line and am happy with the purchase. I didn't need the Retina display and was not willing to pay full retail for the MBP, especially ahead of a possible refresh later this month or next. Price was important to me. Put in 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD from my previous Mac. :)

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I too am waiting for a refreshed cMBP. Is nobody else troubled by the rMBP or MBA's lack of user-upgradeable RAM?

6. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

I am troubled with the lack of upgradability of the rmbp and the MBA plus the low storage capacity of the ssd drive which is very annoying to me.

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Me, that's why I bought a cMBP. I immediately put in 16 Gigs of RAMS and plan to eventually put in an SSD and a 1TB HDD.

8. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

I'd just get one now. There is not telling whether there will be one in the future and Haswell's performance isn't that special.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

If they discontinue it I'll be very tempted to buy one from closeout and keep it as a spare. I just replaced my 2011 MBP 13" with an MBA and I love the MBA but I miss the capacity of the cMBP.

10. jboyd710 macrumors member

I just bought a 15 cMBP, got a great deal the guy literally never used it, and it was the best decision I could have made. The screen is beautiful and I don't regret not getting the retina.

11. Rhythmic- macrumors member

Same here. Bought a cMBP a month and a half ago and upgraded it to 16gb ram and 256 SSD. Don't regret it one bit.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The days of opening up your laptops, inserting drives, batteries and chips is coming to an end. This isn't unique to Apple either. Most consumers have no desire to tinker with the innards of their macs anymore than they have the desire to look under the hoods of their cars. And no... we here at MR are not "most" people.

13. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It isn't unique to Apple, but other manufacturers offer the option with a different line(not ultra portables, obviously). I just hope continues to do such as well.

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

And that will change. Already, internal optical drives are becoming a thing of the past. I find it interesting that a company with only a 10-15% laptop market penetration can set the tone for hardware scaling across an entire industry.

15. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Wait for a couple weeks. I don't think they'll drop the cMBP.

16. kant macrumors 6502

I grabbed one off MacMall last month. I'm with the majority and think they're going to be discontinued. Retina is pretty, but I like being able to upgrade it myself given the falling prices on SSDs. I couldn't justify paying the Apple tax for a drive that will be twice the size and half the price in a year.

17. mcarling, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

mcarling macrumors 65816

Some people are troubled by permanently fixed memory. I'm not troubled by it anymore than I am with it in my iPhone or iPad. I just bought a 2013 15" rMBP with 16GB of DRAM and a 512GB SSD for $2000 new in the box on Craigslist, so I'm not worried about being able to upgrade to 16GB. I was only using about 70GB of the 128GB SSD in my 2010 15" MBP, so 512GB seems capacious to me and I can upgrade it in the extremely unlikely event that I will need more than 512GB capacity before I have other reasons to replace the laptop. Having used the Retina display for a few days, I would never go back to a cMBP.

ps: Count me among those who are confident that the cMBP will not be updated with Haswell.

pps: I fail to see how having 4GB of DRAM with the possibility of upgrading to 8GB or a maximum of 16GB is better than having 16GB of fixed DRAM.

18. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Some people don't have enough cash at the moment, so they can't just upgrade to 16GB RAM or whatever. Some people (those who are meticulous and want all their spendings to be justifiable) don't find 8GB or 16GB necessary at the moment (but might be later on).

19. mcarling macrumors 65816

I think the bigger reason is probably that people want to buy a machine with 4GB from Apple and immediately load it up with 16GB from another vendor.

20. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Of course. That would only be the prudent thing to do.

But, it's also true that the need and desire to have more RAM might come in time. I remember that I was perfectly happy with 2GB of RAM on Snow Leopard. Now that I'm using Mountain Lion, I'm getting a lot more pageouts and swaps (mostly due to Safari Web Content.) I know that my Macbook can unofficially take 8GB, but might have rather gotten a new laptop instead.

21. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Doubt the cmbp would be discontinued...

It will be the cheaper laptop that falls between the airs and the retina macbook pros and is very hard drive friendly, which are by far muuuuuuuucccchhhh cheaper than SSDs. The option of a matte display is also something that is not available for any of the other Apple laptop options including a normal non-retina display. Though I wouldnt be surprised if they discontinued it next year, but its still to early to say at this time.

22. kant macrumors 6502

Excellent example. And how many people get stuck with iDevices that turn out to be the wrong amount of ram for them? The same mistake with a $1500+ laptop is a troublesome thought for a lot of folks.

That's nice. The OP said he needed at least a terabyte so your experience is rather irrelevant to him. The price of SSDs are falling all the time so getting a rotational hd or a low capacity SSD with the intention of replacing it in 12 - 18 months is an economic decision for many.

Again, that's nice. But, again, irrelevant to the OP's question.

I'm constantly amazed at people who think the solution they like is what everyone else should like too. You've just added a whole new layer to that. Your post essentially distills down to:

23. PinkWaters thread starter macrumors member

PinkWaters

Well I went ahead and purchased the 2.9 i7 MacBook Pro, purchased a 1TB hdd to replace the one inside.
    Now I hope the cMBPs get discontinued :D

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

The rmbp is a beautiful machine but the soldered ram is an issue with me too. Its just pointless limiting for cash reasons. U can always use more ram. Updating is a must in the future. Also 128 ssd for base model is ridicoulos.
    I'm thinking bout the cmbp, too.