cMBP Power Cord ---> Yuck!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doubledee, Jul 5, 2013.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

I finally opened up the box containing my cMBP yesterday after letting it sit around for over a month?!

My new cMBP is "okay" so far - nothing like my 2009 White MacBook - but one thing I'm definitely freaking out about is the Power Cord!!!

Not sure how to describe this, but it is as if the Power Cord is lined with a leaf spring that doesn't want to wind up?!

I've never seen an electrical cord behave this way.

Certainly a new electrical cord will be "stiff", but when I went to put my cMBP away in the soft case I bought, I felt like I was trying to coil up a piece of a bamboo?!

Does that make sense?!

Even the thin cord that plugs into the laptop behaves that way, but nearly as bad as the thick electrical cord which would go into the outlet.

I find this behavior to be a PITA at best?!

With all that Apple has done over the years to "streamline" things, I have always found the power adapter/cord to be the single BULKIEST part of owning a MacBook?!

So have a brand new cord that acts like a spring is not helping my life any... :rolleyes:

I hope there is an easy answer and/or some solution to this *major* annoyance...

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Mine does it, too...but...ummm...I just roll it up and put it in my bag as usual. It doesn't hurt it and I don't have any problems overpowering its springiness.

Kind of a weird thing to complain about, I can see how it could be annoying but I don't see how it prevents anyone from storing it like any other cord.

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Um, I didn't say I had an issue rolling it up with my own muscles...

I am complaining because after I roll up the cord and place it in my bag, it *SPRINGS OUT* like if you took a watch apart?! :mad:

Debbie

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You seem to be unsure if this is a PITA..."?!"

If this is what constitutes a *major* annoyance in your life, you are a very fortunate person indeed, and live a a truly annoyance free life.

Try rolling it up and using a twist tie to keep it rolled.

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

You act surprised, like you just opened a gag can of springy snakes. My cord doesn't spring out, but I also don't whip open my bag so that I have a cord explosion...

Still kind of a strange complaint. You'd think after the first time you'd figure it out... ;)

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Wipe the cable with rubbing alcohol and paper towels, from end to end, 3 or 4 times. This will make the jacket "sticky" and less likely to slide against itself. You will have to clean it often, to keep it tacky.

When it's rolled up - if you want to keep it in that position - use a hair dryer to heat the wires - don't melt them, just get them hot enough, and let them cool in that position. It will create a memory for the coil - though this may be equally annoying when you have it unwrapped.

So what's really bothering you?

8. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

More like 12 cents: [​IMG]

OP must be SO frustrated she can't do a simple search following a 5 second problem solving exercise in her head. :rolleyes:

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

there is also this amazing low tech invention called a rubber band. It's cheap and easy to replace if broken. I use it on both my MBPs when traveling and have no problems.

The cord/plug is simply a minor issue.

10. Buckaye macrumors member

I just had my optical drive fail and I thought THAT was a problem... but I never considered the idea THIS could happen...

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The thick bulky cord that goes from the wall outlet to the power brick is intended to stay at home.

The rest of the MagSafe is as compact as it gets for laptop power supplies. And it stays perfectly rolled up if you do it carefully.

12. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

And yet in the real world it is just the opposite.

When I am away from home, on the road, I need to use both portions because McDonalds and Panera and the local motel aren't nice enough to put outlets next to their seats.

My white MacBook has a reasonably flexible "bully" cord. No complaints there.

This new one is so rigid that I was wondering if it was a snafu or something.

(Of course based on all of the smart-ass comments in this thread, you'd never think that...)

Debbie

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I see. Well the connector in the magsafe is actually a standard connector, so you could buy a generic electronics power cord e.g. at RadioShack for $10. It won't look so nice though.

I agree that the wall cable is super thick and bulky. I wouldn't want to put it in a bag - if I carry it around, it is in the suitcase.

14. esskay macrumors 6502

i use a Velcro cable keeper like these

15. c1phr macrumors 6502

Hmmm... Why not use the power adapter from your White MacBook?

16. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

My "old" MacBook is the white one from 2009.

What would happen if I used *that* Power Cord on my new cMBP?

I have no real complaints about my old Power Cord.

In fact, if it weren't for the lack of RAM, smaller HDD, and cracked case, my dream laptop is the old one I am typing on now...

Maybe the new cord will break in over time, but it seems awfully rigid and "springy" even for a new cord.

Not sure if Apple redesigned their Power Cords on purpose, or if it is a manufacturing flaw?

For those who live in colder climates, it is the different of trying to roll up a thick rubber garden hose you left outside during the winter and trying to roll it up without taking out an eye, versus coiling up an extension cord that has been laying in 100 degree sun all day out on the deck.

The former is a real pain. And the latter is almost automatic.

I expect the latter from my new cord.

Debbie

17. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

It'll work, as long as the wattage is the same or higher (you can always use a higher wattage than your computer needs...if you use under, you may not charge your battery, especially under heavy load). I had an 85W one from my 2008 MacBook Pro that I used with my brand new 13" cMBP (which came with a 65W model). The MacBook Air users who have computers older than last June have it easy—they can grab just about any adapter and use it.

That might have gone along with the other MagSafe-related redesigns. The "old" T-shaped design was more prone to fraying and snapping off (although mine went years without any issues). The L-shaped ones seem to be more resilient, and I'm guessing the MagSafe 2 T-shape ones have been re-engineered to prevent this - maybe they had some issues with the "cord" portion, too?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If the new computer is a 13 also the old one will work. If the issue is the big fat power lead they're pretty much universal. I prefer the T shaped older one myself.

19. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The OP is just asking about the thick cable that goes from the brick to the wall outlet. That one should be safe to use even if it originally came with a lower power brick.

20. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

How is the new cMBP only "OK" and not as good as your 2009 MB is what I'd like to know?

21. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Here is a really useful article for anyone with a similar question...

Intel-Based Apple notebooks: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord

Sincerely,

Debbie

22. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

For most people C2D was more than enough they'll not notice any difference going to core i

23. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

The cord is designed to be springy, so it doesn't tangle.

24. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Oh - I thought the OP was asking about using everything from the older machine...in that case, I agree fully that any AC cord or duckhead would work...my mistake!

25. goMac macrumors 603

If you like the thicker end of the cable from your old Macbook, there is absolutely zero issue with using it with your new charger.

I wouldn't swap out the actual power adaptor/box end. Your old Macbook power adaptor is not intended to be used with a Macbook Pro. Besides, if you're storing it correctly the "springiness" shouldn't be an issue:
    http://lifehacker.com/5611626/learn-to-properly-coil-your-macbooks-power-cord

Honestly, this seems like a pretty trivial problem though.