cMBP purchase help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gintoki-kun, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Gintoki-kun macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I know this question migh have appeared already but I haven't seen it, or I haven't searched well.
    The thing is, this week I'll buy my cMBP 13". I want this size because of the portability it gives me :)
    What I'm confused with is with the processor and Hdd/ssd
    I've seen two. A 500gv Hdd 8gb ram i5 2.6. And a 750gb Hdd 8gb ram i7 2.9 one.
    What would you suggest me? Is there much of a difference between both? The processor I mean.
    I wanted ssd, but the price rises a lot. I can put one afterwards when I want right?
    Btw, is there a big difference because of the 2duo of the 13" to the 4quad of the 15"? I know the cache doubles up. But what about the overall things?
    Thank you in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

The dual core i7 used in the 13" MBP is slightly faster than the dual core i5 but also runs a bit hotter (thread).

As for RAM and storage, both can be upgraded for much less than what Apple wants, 8 GB RAM can be had for 50 USD and less, 16 GB RAM can be had for less than 100 USD.
    A 256 GB SSD can be had for 150 USD and less.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

Btw, is the noise of the i7 that much noticeable?
    It heats that much? It's aluminium, it's normal. But is that heat not that normal for aluminium?

4. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I have the i7 in mine and the fan is silent about 95% of the time. When I'm playing a game it will sometimes kick up the fan speed, but that's a very rare occasion. And the heat feels insane at first when you touch the aluminum casing right above the keyboard, but it is perfectly normal- the case acts as a heat sink, transferring heat away from the CPU. The case may feel very warm in spots when there is heavy CPU usage, but it's certainly not a nuisance.

5. mslide macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about noise/heat of the i7. People tend to make a much bigger deal out of CPU temps than they really are. It's fine. As far as noise goes, I've had my 13" MBP for several months now and have yet to hear the fan unless I really try to listen for it while in a quite room. I'm half joking there but seriously, the fan is quiet.

As for i5 vs i7 (both dual core), the great majority of people will never notice a difference. The types of people who will notice a difference are those that are often times doing CPU intensive things a lot (i.e. a lot more than just running Safari/Mail/iTunes/etc). If we were talking dual core vs quad core, that would be different but even then, casual users wouldn't notice a difference.

6. Gintoki-kun thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. So the heat is not that much...
    Thank y'all for your answers.