cMBP taking forever to wake up from sleep... please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SR71, Mar 16, 2013.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

Okay, so my 2012 cMBP seems to be having an issue. If I plug it in and let it charge for a few hours and I open the lid while its still plugged in, it'll wake up from sleep instantly. The same goes for if its unplugged for a few hours and put to sleep; if I open the lid, it wakes up from sleep instantly.

Now here's the weird part... if its been charging for a few hours and then I unplug it and open the lid (what most people do - I usually let it charge overnight and then unplug it and open the lid in the morning to start using it) it will take anywhere from 15-30 seconds just for any of the backlights to turn on (this includes the display, the keyboard... anything) and also, none of the buttons are functional. Nothing works for those 15-30 seconds until it finally wakes from it's (deep) sleep. The only thing that it responds to is holding down the power button for about 10 seconds, which causes it to forcibly shutdown.

How can I fix this issue? Do I need to reinstall OS X? Also, this is the latest version of OS X. Is there any terminal commands I can do to fix this. It's extremely annoying and has been doing it for months.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah I noticed this too, it's a good 30 seconds for it to respond to buttons or the mouse to move.

I think it depends on how much stuff you had going on before because it needs to reload it... or it's just the really slow 5400RPM drive.

3. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

But then why doesn't it affect the MBP when you wake it up from long periods off the charger, or long periods on the charger? It only affects mine when it goes from being on the charger for long periods of time, to being taken off the charger and then quickly opening the lid -- this is where it stalls for about 30 seconds.

The standby light will be completely off, indicating that it is not in standby, so I know that that's not it... It's as if suddenly removing the magsafe from the MBP and then opening the lid within 5-10 seconds causes it to get stuck in sleep mode for a little while before it figures out that it needs to wake up.

I've also noticed that if I leave my MBP plugged into the charger for extended periods of time, I will occasionally hear the fans humming very quietly as if the power is being kept on slightly so that it can resume from sleep very quickly, but as soon as I pull the magsafe out, the fans stop and I think this is when the computer becomes confused. It thinks that it needs to power-down into a lower power state since the charger has been removed, and opening the lid while it does this causes it to stall.

It's would make sense, too, because when it's left off the charger for extended periods of time, the computer is already in it's lowest power state, so it doesn't need to quickly switch over as it would in the previous scenario.

So the question is how can this be fixed?

Could you possibly test this on your MBP and see if it does the same thing? To test if your MBP does the same thing, just put it to sleep by closing the lid and wait for the standby light to slowly pulsate which means that the MBP is now in sleep mode. Once that's done, just plug in the magsafe charger and see if you can hear the fans spin up or see if the standby light begins to stop pulsating and instead light up and stay on without pulsating. On my MBP, the fans immediately spin up to their minimum speed when the magsafe is plugged in and the standby light changes from a pulsating light, to a constant light that doesn't pulsate.

4. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Try an SMC reset and PRAM.

If it still doesn't work, slap it and it'll wake up :p lol. If the above doesn't fix the issue take it to the Genius Bar

5. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'll do that now and see if anything changes.

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Well don't slap it, of course :)