cMBP to rMBP Boot Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calviin, Feb 3, 2014.

1. calviin macrumors regular

Hi. I had a 17" cMBP and I took out the SSD that I previously had in it. I took it out and used a TB->FW800->OWC Dock for the SSD. I'm trying to boot off the external drive and it gives me a question mark. I can't seem to find a way to boot off the drive. Any ideas? Also. on my rMBP, I can't seem to get these programs to go in alphabetical order. Isn't it supposed to be Fallout, Fallout 2 and then Fallout Tactics? How do I fix this? My OCD kicks in every time I see this so it does bother me. Thanks.
    Screenshot 2014-02-03 19.04.10.jpg

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Fallout.app
    Fallout 2.app
    Fallout Tactics.app

That list is incorrectly sorted.
    All start with Fallout, so the following characters determine the sort, because:
    the space comes before the (.) dot, and numbers before letters, thus the correct order is:
    Fallout 2.app
    Fallout Tactics.app
    Fallout.app

If you prefer the Fallout.app to be ahead of the other two, then insert a space between the t and the (.) - so you have
    Fallout .app
    Then your list will sort the way you want.

3. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

I doubt the disk you are using from the 17inch has the correct drivers for the rMBP. You will need to reinstall Mavericks on it to use it as an rMBP boot drive.

4. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I see. I thought periods came first due to the file extension. Glad to know. The external drive already has Mavericks installed on it. If I install it again, will it wipe the drive? Or is there a way I can install just the drivers or whatever's that's missing that'll allow me to access the drive?

5. VinYette macrumors newbie

Calviin, my understanding is that Apple uses a specific build of Mavericks for their rMBP's that is a different build than the Mavericks you will have installed on your 17" cMBP. Unfortunately, this means that you won't be able to boot your rMBP from your cMBP drive even if they are both updated with the most recent versions of Mavericks.

One option to explore would be to use the Migration Assistant tool found in the Other folder to transfer any applications, data, etc. to your rMBP system.

Best of luck…if you come up with a working solution update this thread.

6. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Migration assistant route will certainly work, I think swapping the drives, then booting from the recovery partition to reinstall Mav (that won't wipe anything) is the way to go.