cMBP v rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vtran, Oct 22, 2012.

1. vtran macrumors member

Can't decide which would be better for me. I currently have a late 09 27in iMac and I use to have a mid 2010 mbp(sold it to brother). Used the laptop a lot during the semester but when I came home I would use my iMac. Looking to go back to a laptop for school but should I get the rMBP(lighter and better screen) or top cMBP with optibay hdd/sdd in main bay.

I won't have the iMac anymore as I am giving it to my mom so ill only have 1 computer but ill probably look into getting a TB display.

Thanks!!!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Now that Samsung will no longer be providing panels for the rMBP, I would avoid it. The LG panels have known issues.

3. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I would go for the cMBP as it can be easily upgraded later to extend it's useful life and it's not troubled with those weird ghosting issues. The TB display would be sweet as well. I like the way the built in speakers and minimal cabling optimize the desktop space. I'm tempted to purchase one myself but will hold out to see if it gets antiglare and USB3.

4. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I'd do cMBP. The cMBP is tried and true and is, for most part a perfected design, whereas the rMBP is still in its infancy. Plus you can expand the cMBP's RAM and drive aftermarket, and without voiding your warranty. Such is not the case with the rMBP. Next rev when the cMBP is discontinued and the rMBP becomes the sole MBP, they will have most likely worked out all of the kinks and complaints plaguing the current rMBP

5. klover, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

klover macrumors 6502a

Actual rMBP owner here.

1. Regarding the Samsung issue: a) it's based on a single story from Korea and b) it's rumoured to occur next year. Hardly a matter to consider in your purchase.

2. LGs do suffer from retention but are otherwise beautiful screens that are superior to "classics" in every meaningful way. I happen to have a Samsung and the clarity, contrast, IPS viewing angles, etc. are amazing (as are the LGs). Honestly, I simply couldn't settle for a TN panel that should have been dumped years ago (especially at the price you're paying). It sounds like hyperbole until you spend a few hours in front of the screen (not, mind you, for 10 minutes in a bright-as-sun Apple store full of reflections and finger-smeared screens).

3. Performance is amazing. Depending on your usage, the SSD on the rMBP adds a level of speed that is noticeable (not just some useless benchmark). Add an SSD of the size and quality of the rMBPs (it's a Samsung) to the cMBP and the price disparity shrinks very quiclky.

4. Thinner profile, lighter, blah..blah. You know all this. Oh, and the HDMI port seems like simple thing to mention but it's huge for me.

Does it have odd production issues? Sure. Creaking base plates, QA issues, and the LG screen come to mind. That said, I also had to swap 3 of the so-called "established and proven" 2012 Macbook Airs for exactly the same reasons.

Google "creaking Macbook Air", "LG vs. Samsung Macbook Air", "damaged Air out of box". This is sadly common to Apple in general, not the rMBP specifically.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Having had both, it's really a personal choice. Either way you are buying a good laptop.

7. vtran thread starter macrumors member

I've already tested the rMBP (brother got one for work) while my iMac was at the applestore and it is amazing. He does have a LG screen and I do not see IR yet but its still a wonderful screen. I'm only thinking of cMBP because of the capabilities to upgrade RAM and to have HDD&SSD in one chasis. I like having everything with me just in case and the rMBP does not have that extra storage so I would have to get an external hdd which I don't really prefer to carry around. That's probably one of the other cons in my decisions for rMBP.

But here is what i'll get if I do purchase either mbp: For the rMBP, I will probably do 2.6ghz/16gb ram/ 256gb ssd [~$2420]. Also have to keep in mind that I need to buy a external HDD. For the cMBP, I was looking at refurb (a bit cheaper than a new one) top 15in model with 2.6ghz/8gb ram/7200hdd and then add a 128gb or 256gb ssd like the samsung 830 [~$2300]. However, if I did a brand spanking new cMBP then they are about the same in price.

Definitely getting the TB display eventually but I'm just waiting for tomorrow's event before buying.

8. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Have you considered SDXC cards for external storage on the rMBP? It is not as good as internal, but much easier to carry around than a portable hard drive, and a possibility for tipping the decision if it is close call between the models.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Given you will be plugging into a TB display, i'd go classic.

More expandability (RAM, storage). No retina display is the only significant downside, and if you get hires on the classic the screen isn't too bad.

You can add or increase SSD storage later. You can add RAM (maybe up to 32gb when 16gb modules arrive) later - the CPU/chipset supports it.