cMBP w/ Haswell 15''

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtm77, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jtm77 macrumors newbie

Greetings. I'm just writing this to see if anyone thinks there will be a CMBP 15' w/ Haswell this year? I realize it's pretty much a guesstimate about it at this point: If they do discontinue the cMBP I hope they have some BTO options for a couple weeks after the announcement.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I use to think 40/60 - now I think 60/40 (60 now being they discontinue it). I hope they still make a cMBP. You can always purchase one used for a good price (requires more work but you can get a really sweet deal).

----------

They will have many of the BTO upgrades in the refurb store - upgraded processor/drive/anti-glare etc.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well, with the most recent Macbook Pro change ups the cMBP was left with the old (2.3Ghz) processors and the high end model was removed. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it go away completely, or perhaps stay on without being updated at all.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

This makes sense - possibly the reason for dropping the high end cMBP may be because the base rMBP was the same price. Although you can build the high end cMBP via BTO for the same price as before.

5. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

the sales numbers will tell if apple decided to keep the cmbp which we all wouldn't know.

but I'm guessing haswell could come out in late 2013, could be oct-nov knowing that apple just release early 2013 mbp.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Because of the early 2013 spec bump it made me think that Haswell would be fall 13 - the longer until the 2013 release the more likely the cMBP will be dropped. IMHO

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Hmm..a few people could say this...I have a hard time believing that you are one of them.

9. Ploki macrumors 68010

Isn't the fact that it didn't get the 2013 refresh proof enough?

10. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

For me it is, looking by past strategies that apple used, yes its going to be gone.

Sorry to disappoint, but I really dont believe that the cmbp is going to continue existing, the mba has been positioned as the 13 replacement, the 15 can be replaced by the rmbp 15, there is no need for the cmbps anymore.

All the retina models can have their prices cut, the rmbp 13 can even have a 7mm HDD installed if there is a need for further price reduction.

1) Currently apple has to stock in the pro line up in terms of mobo, 13 different models, 2 rmbp 13, 2 cmbp 13, 6 rmbp 15, 3 cmbp 15, thats a ton of stock that apple never needed before, not to mention the stock for all the past years models

2) By converting their lines to make only the retina models it gets cheaper to produce them

3) People dont usually upgrade their machines, they simply dont, we know that, they know that, its usually when its broken we buy new machines, and its usually when things get too slow we look for upgrades, sometimes they arent worth it

4) upgrades, macs are closed. Why? you could only upgrade the HDD and the RAM, given that 8gb is still plenty for a lot of people, and will still be, we are looking for something else to upgrade... SSD is the new rage to bring life to new systems, we already have that. The problem here is that we can reach the limit of the space, and thats a problem.

There are several other reasons, but being truthful here I dont really believe that apple will make the cmbp again

What apple could do is to bring back a 17 retina, but with a focus on workstation class material, firepro and quadro gpus (of the high end category K5000, m8900, m6000), high quantity of ram (32gb or more), easy to service. That would deviate from the extreme thin designs that they are used to making, by it may well be worth it