cMBP : why only 8 Gb ram ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidgnomo, Jul 24, 2012.

1. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

That pisses me off ... anyone knows if it's possible to upgrade to 16 Gb like the rMBP ?

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Yes it's possible, many have done it.

And why does it piss you off? 8gb is a heck of a lot of RAM, and the Apple BTO upgrade would be 3x as expensive as just slotting the RAM upgrade in yourself.

3. Glockron macrumors member

Yep. You just do it yourself. Order some SO-DIMM sticks off amazon in whatever speed your MBP supports (2012 is 1600 mHz, unsure about the others)

Great part about cMBP is you can change parts. Just screw off the back, pop the old sticks out and chuck in the new ones.

There are two RAM slots, so just get a bundle of 2 8GB sticks :)

4. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Because the cost of validating and supporting 16GB was probably more than they would have made by the very small amount of people who would have purchased the 16GB model.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why? 8 GB is at the higher end of what comes standard in notebooks these days.

6. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

You make it seem like a very simple procedure : is it really simple ? I mean, I did change my HP Pavilion HDD with an SSD and it was quite simple ... I wonder if I'll be able to make it with RAM in a cMBP too !

And also ... is 16 Gb the maximum upgrade that a cMBP can bear ?

7. Glockron macrumors member

16 GB is the max I'm pretty sure. Can't see why you'd need any more than 8, to be honest. So 32 GB is kinda useless.

It's a super simple process, easier than the SSD/HDD switch. You just take the RAM chip out and put the new one back in the place. The only tools / screwdrivers you need are to open the macbook. Everything from there is simple. :) Just check out the vid

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The sad fact is Apple is silently "testing" their user base right now, and people are allowing themselves to be distracted by Apple's clever ways.

By hyping "retina" people are failing to notice that Apple is switching to a closed non-user upgradeable laptop. While they currently offer both conventional 15" MBP's _and_ Retina models, I assure you they'll justify discontinuing the upgradeable MBP's citing the sales volume & demand for retina.

Slight of hand is Apples specialty. One knows that fact after being an extremely loyal customer of two decades. I really like Apple, but I am disturbed by their direction. Throwaway laptops are not far off no matter how many users are practicing denial.

Apple sells & makes billions on hardware. A fact many seem to lose sight of.

Beginning with an iPhone that had a captive battery, and no battery door, Apple has very cleverly brought us to where we are today. A glued together, super thin, laptop that only they can repair or replace.

I give them a lot of credit, they've made themselves massive amounts of revenue off the backs of their followers. Not many companies can pull that off.

9. Glockron macrumors member

I agree with the guy above me.

They're moving towards non-upgradability. I can see it being necessary in the MBA for spatial reasons as it's designed to be an ultraportable, but for heavy computing on the go such as the 15" cMBP/rMBP a couple of extra millimetres/grams would have been fine in exchange for the possibility to swap RAM and HDDs.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They can take up to 32GB. RAM upgrades are easy.

11. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Thanks for the vid and the advices, I surely will use 'em ... now I'm just wondering what will I do with the RAM chip I take out !

12. leman macrumors 604

RAM and HDD is user-upgradeable in the cMBP. Check Apple's website for a guide how to change them.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Chips. They come in pairs.

You take out the 2 4GB sticks and throw in two 8GB sticks.

----------

And why the c in front of MacBook Pro?

14. simsaladimbamba

32 GB is the maximum RAM the MacBook Pro can hold according to its chipset, but as only 8 GB modules exist, you are limited to 16 GB. Once 16 GB modules arrive (2014 maybe), you might be able to upgrade to 32 GB RAM.

As for doing it yourself, I haven't watched the video, but it is relatively simple, if you can operate a screwdriver. If you cannot, you should leave it to someone who can.

Upgrading RAM in MacBooks and MacBook Pros

15. AdrianK macrumors 68020

True, we just don't have 16GB 204pin chips yet.

"Classic", non-retina.