Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
On previous versions of MacOS, you could CMD+double click on a folder in the Finder path bar to open a new window at that location. Or if you enabled Finder>Preferences>General "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows", CMD+double click on a path bar folder would open that location in a new tab.

Starting with Monterey it seems those no longer work. You can still right-click the folder and pick "Open in New Window" or "Open in New Tab", but the shortcut of CMD+double click no longer works.

Versions tested: 12.1 on Apple Silicon, Big Sur 11.6.2, Catalina 10.15.7

Has anyone else noticed this?

joema2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
To be more precise, it appears the long-existing behavior to open a new Finder window in the *current* folder by CMD+double-clicking on the pathbar no longer works in Monterey. You can still CMD+double click on other folders in the path and open a new window, just not the current folder. Also it can be done by right-clicking on the current folder in the path bar and picking "Open in New Window".

This 2013 article discusses the behavior which has existed up until Monterey: https://www.cultofmac.com/228451/easily-open-a-second-finder-window-from-the-same-folder-os-x-tips/

Reactions: Echo.dev

C-Hoorel

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
Any idea how to restore the double click on the path bar? I am so used to a double click that the single click is taking me back two levels every time.

Echo.dev

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2022
Thank you!!! I'm currently running macOS Monterey 12.5.1 (21G83) and Yes! I have the same experience @joema2 described....never considered it could be an OS/update issue, but for whatever reason, CMD+double-clicking on the path bar no longer works. You can still CMD+double click on other folders in the path and open a new window, But just not the current folder. You can also right-click on the current folder in the path bar and pick "Open in New Window", but this is pretty tedious.

I'm hoping to restore expected functionality by downgrading to Big Sur, esp because I know someone currently on 11.6 who is not experiencing this issue but I only have access to 11.6.8. so it's tempting, but idk. Also, Idk if @Monotremata understands the situation or not, but it's definitely not working like it always has - At least not on Monterey.

I wish Apple could fix this but there doesn't seem to be any progress in their latest software updates.

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
To be more precise, it appears the long-existing behavior to open a new Finder window in the *current* folder by CMD+double-clicking on the pathbar no longer works in Monterey. You can still CMD+double click on other folders in the path and open a new window, just not the current folder. Also it can be done by right-clicking on the current folder in the path bar and picking "Open in New Window".

This 2013 article discusses the behavior which has existed up until Monterey: https://www.cultofmac.com/228451/easily-open-a-second-finder-window-from-the-same-folder-os-x-tips/
I'm having the same problem, and it's driving me nuts. Still haven't found a solution. I'm in Ventura on this machine, but it's also not working in Sonoma on a different machine.

Oddly, if two or more folders are selected, double-clicking while holding ⌘ does seem to work. But if only one folder is selected (which is usually all I need at any given moment), double-clicking while holding ⌘ does NOT work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.