cmd.exe-no disk imac27" bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mogens, Feb 13, 2010.

1. mogens macrumors member

I just got my brand new Imac 27" i7 and it runs like a dream :)
    I'm trying to install windows 7 64bit on bootcamp. The install runs fine but just before it finishes I get a "cmd.exe-no disk" error ( something like: no disk in a:/can't be found).

I created a usb stick according to the directions on apple: iMac Late 2009 Windows 7 Drivers

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/firmware_hardware/imaclate2009windows7drivers.html

But that don't make a difference :-(
    When i click continue or retry my Imac restarts, and I get a "press any key to boot from cd or dvd..." but the computer doesn't react to any key stroke.

I'm new to bootcamp.-so any suggestion will be welcome.

2. asm84 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem.
    when booting up in windows 7 (not on the windows 7 boot dvd) screen just goes black and stays that way with no reaction if i type on the keyboard.. tried the "deleting of drivers fix" but this doesn't work either. any help would be great...

3. Zortrium macrumors 6502

The black screen problem is the result of not having compatible graphics drivers on the Windows side. I fixed it by rebooting into Mac OS X and starting up my BC partition in VMware, then deleting the ATI driver through that. I then rebooted into Windows and it used the default VGA driver, which let me install an up-to-date ATI driver.

4. asm84 macrumors newbie

thanks I'll try a version of this when i get off work. I've read allot about the "black screen video card issue" but I've haven't seen anyone reporting a cmd.exe-no disk error when this occurs so still not 100 % sure this is a standard video card error :) (but if really hoping it's that simple).

5. hamstersar macrumors newbie

I'm having precisely the same problem as Mogens. So far I've been bashing my head against it for about three days straight and I still haven't managed to get anywhere with it. Help?

6. asm84 macrumors newbie

i finaly fixed this by making the boot-camp partition writable in mac osx then deleting the offending driver files. When i did this windows boots up and you can update windows 7 to get the problem free drivers (the first time you boot windows after doing this windows may take a couple of minutes to boot with the screen just staying black)

you make the ntfs windows partition writable in mac osx by downloading and installing macfuse ( http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ ) and ntfs-3g (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/)

7. asm84 macrumors newbie

by the way big thanks to Zortrium for getting me to see a different kind of solution to this problem.

8. Novastate macrumors newbie

I have the same problem!

How do i know witch file to erase in windows when i boot my patition with parallels?

Thanks!