"Cmd+R" Just a question out of curiosity.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wheelie4, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Wheelie4, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

If you boot up holding the option key until you get to the screen with the different drives you can choose to boot up into. Would doing it that way and selecting the recovery drive to boot into be the same thing as booting up while holding "Cmd+R"?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, should be the same result, but the recovery system is not always available from the Option-boot screen. Depends on the system installed, and the firmware. If for some reason the Recovery system is not visible on the Option-boot screen, you can still boot to the recovery system by restarting while pressing Cmd+R

4. Wheelie4 thread starter macrumors regular

Wheelie4

@Bruno09, thanks. I kind of figured but I wasn't 100% sure. :)

@DeltaMac, thanks. I know when I use the option key when booting up to one of my external hard drives the recovery partition always shows for me luckly. :)

The only reason I was asking this is because being paralyzed from the neck down. Have the ability to access the recovery partition by only pressing option during startup is a convenience because I can only press one key at the time with my mouth sick (I have no use of my arms or hands). Otherwise I would have to bother somebody to hold both keys during boot up which is really no big deal but it's nice to know I have the option. I booted into recovery mode before holding option during startup to allow me to correct a problem with my hard disk failing to verify. :)