CMD + R tries to install wrong OS!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bushido, Feb 17, 2015.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

Hi. i formatted my internal ssd because i wanted to start clean so i did CMD + R and it booted into trying to install Yosemite through internet recovery but my stupid router froze so i had to start all over which seemed to have been stuck too cuz the loading bar didnt move any further. i decided to reboot again now it is trying to install Mountain Lion when i do CMD + R.

why???

its gonna take me forever to download ML then Yosemite. around 7 hours each sigh

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A normal command-r to recovery will boot from the 650MB recovery partition on the local drive and reinstall whatever OS version is currently on there.

So if you have a Yosemite recovery partition, you will get Yosemite. If there is no local recovery partition, the system diverts to Internet recovery and reinstalls the OS version that came from the factory.

Sounds like that is what is going on with you. I'm guessing whatever happened there messed up the local recovery partition, so now it is rolling over to Internet recovery.