Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Here we are a month later and there are still no 12.9 Space Grey models anywhere to be found. Ridiculous!

Apple has been in business a long time. How could they screw up the production schedule like this?

Yes, I'm venting. But venting is necessary after having placed an order over a month ago and am still waiting with no end in sight.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
SPG 256 is in 4 out the 5 and SPG 512 is only available in 2 out of 5 for me.
I guess it's the luck of the stores..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Here we are a month later and there are still no 12.9 Space Grey models anywhere to be found. Ridiculous!

Apple has been in business a long time. How could they screw up the production schedule like this?

Yes, I'm venting. But venting is necessary after having placed an order over a month ago and am still waiting with no end in sight.

I can understand your frustration. I was mentioning to another forum member in another thread, it seems to be a trend with Apple when it comes to product launches having limited or restricted availability, given the notoriety and popularity that follows . And it's apparent with the Apple Watch launch, iPhone, iPad, AirPods launches,etc.

I almost wonder if Apple tends to underestimate stock intentionally to determine suppy and demand during initial launches to assess production needs or if they release quantities at certain periods after the launch. Of course this anecdotal logic, but it does make me wonder.

Last edited:

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I haven't checked in stores around here, but according to what I see online, at this point you can't get a 256 wifi 12.9 pro in space grey until the end of July.

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I should have clarified. I want a 12.9 Space Grey 512 GB Wifi. Impossible to find at any of the 3rd Party resellers (especially the ones that don't charge sales tax) and at least a 2 week wait (or more) if you order direct from Apple.

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
I should have clarified. I want a 12.9 Space Grey 512 GB Wifi. Impossible to find at any of the 3rd Party resellers (especially the ones that don't charge sales tax) and at least a 2 week wait (or more) if you order direct from Apple.

Out of the 5 websites I normally look for Apple products (Apple, ABT, Adorama, BestBuy and MacMall), 2 currently have what you want in stock: MacMall and BestBuy. They do have sales tax, but so does Apple.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have two Apple Stores in my area that have the 512 GB Cellular model available today and three Verizon Stores that also has available stock. (Two of them corporate Stores) Interesting to see how limited this model is and color compared to others.

Last edited:

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Out of the 5 websites I normally look for Apple products (Apple, ABT, Adorama, BestBuy and MacMall), 2 currently have what you want in stock: MacMall and BestBuy. They do have sales tax, but so does Apple.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had been checking 5 sites every day but MacMsll was not one of them. Thanks to you, I just placed an order and it should be here by Thur or Fri.

The cool thing is Macmsll gives a $5 discount on the iPad and a $20 discount on AppleCare, The $25 in savings helps counteract some of the sales tax. And to top things off, they only charged me $42 in sales tax which is half of what it normally is. So after all is said and done, the final price is only $17 higher than no-tax places such as B&H.

Thanks again!

Reactions: kazmac

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
3 reasons for shortage...

1.) Apple is using all the resources to manufacturing the iPhone Anniversary Edition.

2.) Apple underestimated the popularity of the new iPads and didn't manufacture an adequate supply.

3.) People are buying all the stock that was made.

Kallum

I suspect number 2; Apple already has such supply chain issue (read: delivery dates that kept being pushed back) even before the launch of the new iPad Pros and iPad 2017!

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Ordered a 12.9 256gb wifi only from ABT on the 5th.. it said it had a 7-14 day delivery time... original estimate of 14-24.
Anxiously awaiting an email...

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Meanwhile i ordered from Best Buy (512 GB LTE SG -- major unicorn) on a Thursday and it was in my city the following Tuesday... and July 3rd no less.(although i had some minor shenanigans with ups) :oops:

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Well, due to education offer today, I decided to cancel my order with Abt, pay the tax, and get free headphones. Hopefully the iPad ships much quicker than the estimate Apple gave me (based on past history, it USUALLY does...)

Might sell the beats and try to buy the AirPods though!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I can understand your frustration. I was mentioning to another forum member in another thread, it seems to be a trend with Apple when it comes to product launches having limited or restricted availability, given the notoriety and popularity that follows . And it's apparent with the Apple Watch launch, iPhone, iPad, AirPods launches,etc.

I almost wonder if Apple tends to underestimate stock intentionally to determine suppy and demand during initial launches to assess production needs or if they release quantities at certain periods after the launch. Of course this anecdotal logic, but it does make me wonder.
I reckon they manufacture to estimated demand. I found the Pro 10.5 models readily available. For brand new devices (e.g. OG iPhone, OG iPad, Apple Watch and AirPods), I think it's very easy to underestimate demand.

Mind, Apple probably figured it's not worth configuring factories and ramping up production during the short window following announcement/release for early adopters when it's not gonna be needed the rest of the year.

Engie

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Do not see the new 12.9 available in Europe either. Patiently waiting.
And no silicon cover case released for 12.9 2nd gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.