C'mon, Really Think Unlocked iPhones Keep Apple up At Night

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by merics, Apr 16, 2011.

1. merics macrumors member

Well, here we are; Unlocks as we know them are becoming a thing of the past and this new wave of techno wizardry is making headlines along with endorsements from the Dev team.

I see post saying, soon Apple will figure a way to reverse the unlock, so I ask myself and now those of you reading; Does Apple care and why?

Apple is not a carrier, they make the product the carriers buy and sell and/or lease to us. One would think Apple would be tickled "red" because with unlocks becoming a common place while somewhat costly to some, would eventually mean more iPhones in more consumers hands; The iPhone is still superior to other phones on the market.

We could be on the brink of seeing a major about face from Apple on how they view unlocks. Hmm, maybe one day you walk in an Apple store with your old or newly bought iPhone and for a mere fee, the in-store team unlocks your iPhone on the spot.

Aah, then we could actually see the days of old when true competition amongst carriers to bring us in for their respective plans occur..

I think when it's said and done, Apple stops caring and this becomes a WIN WIN for the consumer......

Thoughts????

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I don't think you understand why Apple should take action to this. Do you think your iPhone is that cheap? Carrier subsidize it. Carriers pay big money to Apple to be the sole carrier in a country. Carriers will definitely request Apple to do something about it. It's a win win to consumer but lose to carriers and Apple.

3. merics thread starter macrumors member

Point taken, but it's practiced in some countries already, Apple providing unlocked phones.

Their is no sole-carrier in the states anymore and soon T-Mobile will soon have their hands on an iPhone. More demand means price drops not only to the consumer, but the carriers would reap the benes as well, paying less.

Or, maybe the future will be such that carriers only have their branded phones in-house and the Apples, HTCs, RIMs etc will all allow or sell unlocked devices leaving it to the consumer to choose the carrier.

4. gngan, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

This is true because of local laws.

I thought Verizon is paying Apple in order to sell iPhone? More demand means price drop is true but i don't see it happening to Apple. I never seen Apple selling their products cheaper or giving discount unless there's a new product releasing.

Again, if carriers are paying Apple money to sell iPhone then it's logical for them to lock their phone.

I don't know if other carriers around the world is paying Apple to sell iPhones. In HK, i don't think carriers are paying Apple because all iPhones are unlock and there's no subsidize iPhones. It's more expensive than US but at least the data plan is the cheapest around the world.

5. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

When iphone first came out in the UK only the 02 had them now most networks have them and you can buy a factory unlocked one in the Apple shop.

Maybe that is the way you guys will end up.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Sorry I disagee with you. Yes the phone is subsidized and you are committed to a two year contract. Unlocking the phone does not allow you to walk away from that contract. If you want to walk away from ATT you have to pay $365 cancellation fee.

Same issue in Europe. You can buy a subsidized phone from o2 in London on a two year contract and get it unlocked three months later. You are still committed to the two year contract.

There is only one way I can see to stop this new IMEI unlock and ATT could stop it tomorrow. All they have to do is offer the same service for $60 and all the unlockers will be out of business.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I don't think anyone knows what kind of agreements apple has in place with the US carriers that make unlocking such a pain in the ass here. So further speculation just doesn't help anybody.

I hope those paying so much get a permanent unlock but I would think they should protect themselves with SAM.

8. merics thread starter macrumors member

Spot on; your comments are where I think some time down the road, it'll be that way. either the carriers, Apple or both..

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I agree with your point; however if a company can keep you stay to their network after the contract then they can earn more money. Companies will always want to maximize their profit or protect their profit. Unless there's law that force carriers to unlock (like UK) then companies won't unlock it.