Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drasl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
I just picked up a 2,66 ghx 1,1 Mac Pro for next to nothing and installed lion on a HDD for the OS.

Although I am just using a 3,5” HDD it does seem a bit slow and when I go to the system profiler it states that the link speed it 3 gigabit but the negotiated speed is 1.5 gigabit.

The same HDD showes up with a 3 gigabit negotiated speed on my Mac pro 3,1.

I have heard a lot about negotiated speeds with certain macs and SSDs but never with HDDs.

Is this normal and if not any ideas ?

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
My macpro 1,1 is using 2015 production seagate drives, and they show up as 3gbit.

I suppose you might have found the one very rare drive thats not really compatible?
It could also just be dust in your sata connecter on the motherboard, blow it out real good to ensure its clean.

drasl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
The strange part is that I have tried a couple of more 3,5" drives and they all show a negotiated speed of 1,5 but a SSD in a 2,5" to 3,5" adaptor shows negotiated speed of 3

drasl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Tried them all but all my mechanical drives appear as 1,5.

Im starting to think there is something going on with the logic board since I tried updating to ElCapitan (with the Efi boot) and the computer starts and runs for 90 seconds before shutting down, every time.

Now Im running Yosemite without issues but still showing 1,5 in negotiated speed on mechanical drives and 3.0 on SSDs.

I guess this one will probably not be solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.