Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluffalo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Hi there,
I'm searching for the name of the slot connector on the logic board of a cMP 3,1.

I bought a genuine apple / broadcom mini pcie card off of marketplace before I bought a cMP 3,1. I think it was for a macbook and I was going to attempt to use it in a hackintosh - the hackintosh project didn't go so well (Pc motherboard died an unrelated death) so I never got to use it for that application. The ad has since expired and can't see the actual details for what macbook it came out of.

I then bought a 3,1 for cheap on marketplace and the airport card I have doesn't appear to fit the slot on the logic board. the card I bought has the label

BROADCOM BCM943224PCIEBT2

I gather it's a mini pcie card, and therefore i gather the slot on the MP 3,1 is not mini pcie. Is there an adapter I can buy to make use of this card?
I can see there is https://www.osxwifi.com/product/mac...94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-with-bluetooth-4-0/ for sale but I'm not spending more for an airport card then I spent on the entire MP 3,1.

It also doesn't fit in a cMP 2,1.

Thanks - new to apple and making a very dedicated effort to switch to mac. Would have bought something new if apple silicon wasn't announced and waiting for that, so the 3,1 is a stop gap.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Excellent that you for the information. What type of interface is the MacBook card, am I able to get an adapter?
Sorry for slow reply, medical issues.

This is the card you have obtained, correct?
See the form factor differences?

1601407761452.png

1601407895303.png

This is the only adapter card i know of that MIGHT be able to make that macbook card work

I would just get the right card (the BCM94360CD) but that's your call.

bluffalo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Well - I got an adapter to make the card fit.

The card works and appears to be perfectly normal.
The antenna connections don't fit the card though.

If I press the antenna (painfully awkward and difficult) on to the connector I can join the wireless fine and it proves it works - but as the cable doesn't "pop" on to the connector, it's not really very useful!

This is a FYI and a warning to anyone else trying this :) works but.... doesn't work in real life terms.

• Love
Reactions: bwillwall
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.