cMP and nVidia 900 series?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jpine, Oct 13, 2015.

1. jpine macrumors 6502

I posted the below question in the "Games" section, but this is also a relevant question to all you hardware experts. :)

Ok, Guys, I know the best answer to the following question is to go buy a Windows box.:) But here is my situation and question:

Oculus Rift has suspended development for the Mac. For how long, no one knows for sure. I have the OR DK2 and need to jump back in and develop applications. My applications are for research purposes (I'm a 56 year old psychologist. I'm not a gamer.) However, I am using Unity3D V5 to build the apps so I need the horsepower of a good gaming computer to play AAA quality apps at no less than 70FPS. Anything below that speed and motion sickness becomes a real problem while using the Oculus. So here is my question: I have a cMP 5,1 12 core with 64 GB of RAM. Since that computer is not known of stellar single core performance compared to a fast Core i7 or even an i5, can I compensate for the lesser CPU performance, while running AAA equivalent apps or even off the shelf games with a GTX 970 SSC or better? I'm running Windows 8.1 under Bootcamp.

TIA!

JP

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

1) For GTX9xx, please check the sticky thread at the top.

2) It depends if the game is CPU throttled or GPU throttle. If CPU is the real limiting factor, the GPU can only sits there and doing nothing, but not increase the FPS.