cMp ethernet fail.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dagar, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Dagar macrumors newbie

Dagar

Hello i have a cMp 2008

My problem is when i try to copy large files about 20gb over ethernet to my nas or to my imac the copy stop and the chrome doesnt run. I have to disconect the cable and reconect and then it run again.

What can be the problem.?

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Try the 2nd ethernet port, if problem persist, then it's more like software related.

3. Dagar thread starter macrumors newbie

Dagar

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Since you try to copy your files to both NAS or iMac. So, I will assume the problem is not on the other side, but either on the Mac, the Cable, or the router (if any).

The chance of the cable has problem is the lowest, so I will check the router and Mac before the cable.

If you have any other router to replace the current one, that will be an easy test. Or at least reset / reboot the router and test it again.

If the problem is on the Mac, since both port has the same problem. It's more like software related. IMO, make a clean install for testing is the best way to confirm if it's software related.

5. Dagar thread starter macrumors newbie

Dagar

6. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

Yes, it could be a software problem (SMB). Copying large files was fine up to OS X 10.6.8. With newer OS X I had problems too.

7. Dagar thread starter macrumors newbie

Dagar

After new install the copy stop but and this is awesome if i do the copy over parallels Desktop it done ok.

I dont understand anything

8. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

9. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

You don't think it may be a hardware issue?

update: nvm...looks like it was resolved. Disregard this.

10. tomvos macrumors 6502

tomvos

I have a QNAP NAS and under Mac OS X 10.11 it is exactly the other way round. SMB and NFS work fine but using AFP to copy many files results quite often to a kernel panic. So, my advise is to try different protocols for the file transfer. Depending on the combination of target and source, one combination may work more reliable than another.