Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VVW666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
Wondering what post install optimizations people have done after making the upgrade to Monterey on a cmp. I'm currently running and things seem to be working fine with the exception that I'm having some graphics display issues, also experienced some audio stuttering but I was also running a site to site vpn, transferring files and using Adobe suite trying to figure out my graphics problems.

So, to those running a 5,1 cMP on Monterey using OCLP, any tweaks you've made to your system for optimization or stability?

My build is as follows

Mid 2010 cMP 5,1
Metal Flashed GPU (was running Mojave prior to this)
2TB PCIe SSD, boot drive for MacOS 12 OCLP Build
28GB Ram

Also have a SATA SSD Bootable with Mojave, although not relevant here because it works fine except for the lack of support for my workplace apps, hence the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Recommend you hide your serial number from that attachment.

For my the 6 core 5,1 in my signature which is used frequently (it runs Zwift in my cycling training room) after upgrading to Monterey (using another Opencore derivative) I upgraded to a RX6600XT 8GB card and flashed that to be compatible with the 5,1.

It has a RAM upgrade to 32GB which is enough for that machine. I also upgraded the WIFI and bluetooth to the card from the 2017 iMac which gives almost all of the modern convenience functions of the newer MacOS.

I never experience any audio glitches or display problems, that computer has so far been very stable.

VVW666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
I appreciate the response, I'm noticing mostly my issue seems to be with Adobe Acrobat at the moment. Did you have to do any post install patches or was it simply a matter of having the proper hardware?

I recognize my graphics card is a little under-spec'd but I'd like to explore any software/install tweaks I can make before spending more cash on another GPU.

Thanks again

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I was only using the Martin Lo Opencore package, I didn't need to do any other software tweaks. I just configured his opencore package then downloaded the default Apple installer and ran it. Then any other updates are over the air as per normal once I change the config.plist to allow them.

Acrobat gives me no troubles.

VVW666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
Seems like the Martin Lo package is pretty popular. I thought going my own way might offer less resistance but there's probably a reason it's so popular. I'll research it a bit more, it would be much easier to jump over to it now than later.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
With his one the operating system is stock standard. It's up to you which one you adopt, but do plenty of reading first.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
As OpenCore and Monterey uses the NVRAM heavily, one tweak is to check the NVRAM.

This is something should done _before_ installing OC and unsupported OS, but better late than never.

I wrote a tool that does a firmware backup (NVRAM is a part of it) and a check in one turn. Some oddities can be repaired by a NVRAM reset, but some could harm the firmware what could lead to a brick if some bad circumstances come in play, together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.