cMP SSD SATA vs PCI

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mpta, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mpta macrumors member

Hello,
    Did anyone of you change the classic SSD to PCI 951 SSD?
    I know PCI is around 4 times faster but is it really that big difference for daily work?
    Jump from HDD to SSD was super nice. Is it the same experience going to PCI SSD?
    Is it worth to spend 150€ to upgrade or not?

edit: I am using 12 core 5.1
    Thanks!

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Almost zero real world difference for common applications and usage, except for people who are easily misled or want to sell your something.

If you data is big, and I mean ridiculously big files, then there is a benefit in transfer rates.

3. mpta thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! You helped me to save 150 ;)

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Agree that you won't feel significant improvement for daily work.

The improvement from HDD to SSD is mainly come from the huge improvement on latency, but not the sequential speed. Therefore, another 4x faster on sequential speed means almost nothing on daily basic computer operation.

You can expect more or less the same boot time, and roughly the same apps loading time.

900x900px-LL-1fb52e74_Screenshot_1.png

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

However, for my PC I am still going to get the new Samsung 960 Pro even though I know I will see no difference over my current 850 Evo. I solely want to fill those m.2 motherboard slots and get rid of cables.

In my cMP I already had SM951 and it was wasted. Even if I was using data big enough, these old Xeon CPUs and terrible macOS APIs would be holding performance back.