CMS for the rest of us designers....

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pelsar, Aug 16, 2011.

1. pelsar macrumors regular

i just found this and am impressed: http://cms.simplecms.com

its better than my old standby cushycms for giving the client the ability to change text on their site, add picts, etc.

its appears to offer far more for less, its "professional version" is $7/month for 77 sites.

if it sounds like this is a sell job, it is, i want them to succeed.

2. dkotter macrumors member

I wouldn't recommend it at all. I used it for a client that just wanted something as simple as possible, and so I went with this. The site they have you go to to login and make changes wouldn't load half the time, and when it did, it would freeze and lose changes. So needless to say, I got rid of them quick and did the site in WordPress.

3. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

so far so good...i've put three small sites up there and just now put a larger "20" page site.

help service was quick and relevant.

4. testcss macrumors member

Keep us posted. If they made enough changes to keep stability up I might consider using it for clients. I am looking for a stable CMS for my clients and Simple is one I am looking at in addition to LimeCMS, SurrealCMS, and Wordpress. Lime and Surreal are more expensive though, and I am looking for as simple a solution as possible. Too lazy to make my own:)

5. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

yes, i'm very familiar with what your looking for....so far so good i've got one client making constant changes, and through them, i'm getting a better idea how to set up the divs so that the access is fast and simple through their GUI (as opposed to going through the code in a few areas)...but no bugs

6. jisaac macrumors member

Look into MODx - an excellent open-source CMS that I have used for small and enterprise size sites. Very reliable and extendable.

7. testcss macrumors member

I think I have decided to go with Simple CMS now that they have reduced their prices. It is now $80 a year for unlimited websites, with comes out to about $6.67 per month. Have you had any problems? Is their any functionality that the CMS doesn't have that you wished it had? I was on the fence between PageLime and Simple, but I think I will go with Simple because they cost less and offer comparable features.