CMS Help.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Shaneuk, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Hello.

Basically I have some basic knowledge of Html and CSS and have build my own sites before. I'm looking into learning more and more.

At the moment I've been thinking about making a site which I can post on, with my own login, so I works much like a blog. Whilst at the same time being able to give someone else a login so they can make guest posts.

I'm wondering what CMS to use. I'd like it to be free because knowing me I'll forget about it.

I've looked into wordpress, but I don't know if my host can work with wordpress. I'm with Awardspace.

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks.

2. cjscrofani macrumors newbie

3. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Okay thanks. Is there anyway of uploading all the files to a host quickly, like in one go. My host only allows 3 files to be uploaded at once.

4. cjscrofani macrumors newbie

Yes, you'll need to upload the files via FTP.

5. room271 macrumors member

Hi,

just to echo the above poster. Drupal/Wordpress are in my mind the best options. Joomla is another possibility too.

Wordpress is easier to use and is better suited for simpler, blog-style websites.

Drupal is a bit of a powerhouse - you can create fully-fledged social-media sites with lots of user-generated content. BUT be warned, this is likely to be overkill for the average small site. And the learning curve is quite steep. Personally, I love using Drupal but it takes a while to get going - and the theming is more complex.

If you are looking for a good (and free) FTP client, Filezilla (google it) is a great cross-platform option. You can also work over the command line using SSH but this is a bit more advanced and only useful for certain things - many shared hosting solutions don't offer this anyway.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Never use FTP. Always use SFTP or FTPS.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get a new host.

I would look into wordpress.