CMS solution for a single news page?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by irishgrizzly, Feb 10, 2012.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

What's the best solution for this? I'm new to CMS. I've got a news page that will have to update every few months. Probably best that the older content scrolls below newer items as they won't post much – 5-8 items per year.

I looked at cushy CMS and this looked great, except you can only edit existing content, not create new content (worked perfectly cot contact page where edits are small).

Next I was thinking of wordpress, but I think this would be too much work to force my current layout into a theme and customise it back into shape.

What other options would I have for simple blogging software that a client can easily get to grips with?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you already have an existing thing you're not going to find something you can just plug in that will offer blog-like functionality.

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks, I realise that I'll have to redesign many elements. I was hoping I could keep this to one page as opposed to the whole site.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How big is the site? Might be a golden opportunity to move to a more scalable platform than whatever they're using now.

5. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Its only 10 pages and because it's for a small business it's not going to need to scale bigger.

6. jwm2 macrumors regular

Honestly wordpress is the standard these days. Its updated regularly, has great plugins and is very customizable. You should have no problem getting it setup on any decent web host (1 click installation most of the time). Also take a look at some of the various themes available online, many sell for as little as $20 or upwards of $100 for something really flexible and reusable. It really just depends on how involved you want to get, but i've found wordpress to be a very affordable system with plenty of support available on their forums or through 3rd party reverse auctions (freelancer.com, scriptlance.com, etc).

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm a fan of WordPress as well. My site doesn't see a whole lot of traffic or updates and I started off with a simple custom PHP script that was essentially a set of static HTML pages that included the common headers, footers and menus. From that I decided a real CMS was in order, and I tried out a bunch. Joomla and Drupal seemed like way overkill for the job. There were a few other CMS's I looked at, including CMS Made Simple and SilverStripe. They looked like they would do the job but there isn't a whole lot of support for either of them out there.

WordPress seemed like the right combination -- not too complicated, but with a huge community of plugins for whatever functionality I might need, lots of themes to choose from, and a very active community.

When I first looked at WordPress a few years ago I dismissed it as being too "blog-oriented" but it has become much more CMS-like over the past year or two.