CMS to create a site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Lisa-noob, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Lisa-noob macrumors newbie

I am not sure if is a good place to submit a request but we need a good system we can create our site on. It is a small accounting company & we need a clean-looking website we can maintain ourselves.
    Do not offer Joomla, Wordpress or other stuff. It won't work for us!
    Any suggestions on other easy website builders?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I can't tell from your post what your exact intent is, but the forum rules do not allow members to solicit work here, so don't ask for members to set anything up for you. Thanks.

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

If you're after recommendations for other CMS, it would be helpful if you could say why WordPress, Joomla! etc. are unsuitable for you.

4. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

Agreed. My favourite is Drupal (using the CCK, Views, CKEditor, IMCE, and Admin modules and the Rubik theme for administration). I rarely run across cases where a custom-written solution makes more sense than something off-the-shelf.

Don't assume that WordPress, Joomla! or Drupal aren't good options simply based on other sites you've seen created with them. The CMS itself has very little to do with what your customers see. Most systems can be customized to whatever you need.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Wordpress is used by CNN, NASA, and others. Counting it out means you don't really know anything, thus you need to hire a professional instead.

6. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

Ouch. That may have been a bit harsh. There are valid reasons why someone wouldn't use specific systems, we just need to know them to be of any help. Personally, I'm up for a good CMS debate. :)

7. VictorNT macrumors member

8. Lisa-noob thread starter macrumors newbie

we'd like to create the site ourselves, I'm just asking to share your experience working with different CMS. What system did work for you, etc?

9. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

In which case, could you please let us know why WordPress and Joomla! (probably the two most popular open-source CMS) etc. don't work for you, so we can understand a little more.

10. Lisa-noob thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks :) we're against these systems as most of my co-workers found them too complicated to learn. Speaking frankly I'll be OK using any system - I'll adjust but I cannot persuade 60 years old people.

11. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

both are incredibly easy to use once installed - wordpress you literally just click new page/post, type in what you want to say and its done.

There are tons of free themes, and lots of designers will build you themes -

www.creativephoenix.co.uk
    www.creativemonster.co.uk

as a couple of examples

12. Lisa-noob thread starter macrumors newbie

I've checked your sites but they won't work for us. Yes, they are clean & nice but..
    Check this site - this is exactly what we need - http://www.globaltech.ae/

13. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

I'll put another vote in for Drupal then.

Regardless of the system, you're going to need someone who's willing to put in some time teaching themselves the CMS. That person will need to be relatively computer-savvy. This does not need to be a programmer, just someone willing to get their hands dirty following technical instructions. The trickiest part for any system is the initial setup: creating the database, configuring the server, etc. If you're testing on your own computer first, install MAMP for MySQL (the database), Apache (the server), and PHP.

Once you have someone to handle the technical items (potentially yourself), spend some time in your local bookstore. Typically the first chapter of a good book will let you know whether a system is suitable for your purposes. YouTube would have user-created training videos for any system, but a bad video can turn you away from a great system, so be careful with that approach (although the same can be said for books).

Most systems ship with several looks (or themes), and many, many more themes are available on the website where you downloaded the CMS. Try to avoid using the available themes as a deciding factor for the system, as most systems can be easily themed by a web designer or developer. The way the administration system works is what makes or breaks a CMS.

If a content management system is setup poorly, the learning curve becomes much more steep for users, so understanding permissions is very important. While the administrator needs to be familiar with the bulk of the system, other editors need to learn only the editing screen. I have attached the editing page from Drupal for reference. Note that I don't have a rich text editor configured here, though CKEditor or TinyMCE can be added relatively easily.

I'll suggest that most systems can be setup so they are approachable for the 60-somethings at the firm, so ignore what you've heard about WordPress and Joomla! and include those in your evaluation. I worked as an accountant in a small firm years ago, so I understand the users you're worried about.

There are many more things I could say, but I need to get back to work for now. :) Good luck with the search.

Kind regards

Luke Gladding

PS: Drupal administration doesn't look great by default, so make sure you use the Rubik theme and the Admin module if you go that route. Don't worry, you'll know what I mean if you do some research on the system. :D

14. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

That could easily be accomplished with wordpress or joomla and would be fully supported - especially if you design your own theme/ get a web designer to do one for you. The sites i posted were examples of companies who will develop the look of the site for you - not what I expected your site to look like

How the site looks can be customised exactly the same with html code or a CMS site - its just that CMS makes the site much easier to update yourself, rather than needing the web developer to do it for you.

Once the CMS is installed you can make it look like anything you want - including the link you posted, and then update it yourselves

15. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

Most systems should work for that. Here's a Drupal-based system that I worked on with another developer a while ago:
    http://cn-sbs.cssbi.ca/home

I would avoid WordPress personally, but I'm sure Joomla! would work fine. WordPress was originally designed as a blogging platform, which means the system is designed differently than something like Joomla! or Drupal. I've never liked the way theming is done in WordPress either, but that may just be me.

16. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Thats a nice looking site lucas.

Indeed you could do it in Joomla as well. Only reason I suggest wordpress is that once the site is running, it will be much easier to update in wordpress for a beginner than drupal/joomla

17. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

Thanks. I can't take credit for the design, I just worked on the Drupal side. I've been relegated to the role of developer recently. :) I have a few large design projects to showcase soon, but those are all hush-hush for now.

With CKEditor and IMCE installed, I think Drupal is about as approachable as WordPress, though you do need to install and configure those modules first. Out of the box, agreed, WordPress is more capable. I think my past troubles with TinyMCE affect my opinion of WordPress.

Attached Files:

18. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I don't see anything special about that site that the suggested CMS couldn't do. I'm not sure you understand how customizable the themes are for WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla.

19. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

A reasonable request, but I don't think this is the right place to submit it. As a web dev forum, most people here probably eschew any (supposedly) easy, cookie cutter template solutions (unless they're the ones who built it ;)).

The options mentioned in this thread will all require the help of a developer. I have no idea where you can find an out-of-the box solution. It's probably out there, but I bet it's clunky (and requires a subscription)...

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you think Wordpress is difficult then there is nothing on the market for you.

Most CMS are more difficult out of the box.

21. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, and many other popular CMS's don't require a developer, but they do require someone tech-savvy who is willing to learn. I wasn't a developer when I started with content management systems 5 or 6 years ago, but that is the route I have taken since.

I won't comment on my own competency, but I suspect any good developer worth listening to already has too much work to "eschew" any solutions to drum up business. Personally, I think this is a great forum to ask.

My experience with cookie-cutter solutions has never been good, which is why I don't recommend them. Also, things like iWeb make web design approachable, but they require desktop software, which makes the system less flexible when you expect more than one person to be working on a website. I'm not saying there isn't anything worthwhile out there, but I certainly haven't found anything worth recommending to my clients or friends.

In any case, hiring a developer could be the best route for you for the initial setup, but it certainly is not necessary for everyone without development experience. Some people love a challenge. :) Personally, I prefer teaching more than coding when it comes to content management systems.

22. Lisa-noob thread starter macrumors newbie

So I need to install several additional plugins, correct? Are there any ready-to-use packages? So I can install 1 file & get everything at once?

23. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Wordpress is the most friendly out of the box - its a case of uploading the .tar file to your site directory, unzipping, installing and its ready to use and customise.

Drupal, a litlle more involved, you upload, extract, and install Drupal, then add on CKEditor and IMCE, as well as the rubic admin theme if you want to follow Lucas' advice.

'Out of the box' wordpress is the easiest to use, and will easily create a site like you want. Drupal will do the same, but is for the more advanced user initially. Joomla! is somewhere in-between IMHO.

Once you have chosen your CMS, you can then make your site look like whatever you want by adding themes to the CMS. You can even write your own themes, or get a developer to do one for you. The links I gave earlier were some developers who will make a theme for you directly if you cant find one you like/want something more unique and bespoke, or dont have the know how to develop your own.

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't see anything in that GlobalTech website that WordPress couldn't do.

After spending years clunking around with PHP myself, and a failed attempt to get my site off the ground with a couple of simple CMS solutions (Drupal, Joomla, CMS Made Simple, Silver Stripe) I finally gave WordPress a shot, almost derisively - I pretty much wanted to prove to myself that it wouldn't work out. To my surprise, WordPress has matured a lot over the last few years, and the current crop of themes and plugins allow you to hook together a lot of interesting options. Yes, sometimes it does feel like playing with Lego blocks, but it's sure faster than me trying to learn it all by hand.

(My website is here if you care to have a look. Pretty much stock WordPress themes and plugins -- all free -- with a few minor tweaks.)

25. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Thats a nice looking site Jay, and a good example of what you can put together with pre-made themes etc on wordpress. Good Work!

As other posters have said (as well as me), Wordpress is the easiest of the lot to get straight into, and almost anyone can learn it once a theme has been installed and the reuired plugins (if any), and even thats not hard to do.

Still at the end of the day its the OP's decision.