CMYK and White

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ChicoWeb, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I have tradeshow booth (8' x 10') I've designed using Illustrator (layout) and Photoshop (imagery). When they get the artwork, and do whatever it is they need to do, the CMYK white isn't displaying. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to give the white a color of 1% K?

The example below is the profile cut or top section that actually is separate from the booth, but you'll get the idea.

Left is their proof, right is my artwork.

Attached Files:

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I take it you've converted the type to outlines, which would rule out any font problems?

3. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I was just about to say that...

That should do the job...You could pathfinder the outlined letters (and cut them from the background...if all else fails)

4. ChicoWeb thread starter macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

5. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

in Illustrator, check your overprint setting in the attributes palette. If it is set to Overprint it will not work and the text will dissapear. Also, what file type are you giving them? If you are giving them a PDF, you could preflight it to remove any overprints, or set the white text to knockout (which it should be doing automatically.) To me it sounds like an overprint issue.

-JE

6. ChicoWeb thread starter macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I'm giving them an AI file. When it's saved as a PDF it works just fine.

Okay, it is checked. So I need to Uncheck it? Not to be a N00b, but what does this do?

7. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

yes uncheck it. Basically what Overprint does, is it tells the ink (which is transparent) to print on top of (overprint) the ink/inks under it. So basically, Illustrator is confused and thinks there is a white ink you are trying to print transparenty ontop of everything else. Think of OVerprint kind of like "Multiply" in blending modes. It knocks out the white, and blends it with what ever is underneath it. Usually things like text Knockout the ink below them so they print ontop of white paper instead of printing on top of everything else. Does that make sense?

and it's not a NOOB question, lots of people these days don't know what terms like Overprint and Knockout mean.

-JE