CnC-Portraits

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NiKeZz, Mar 1, 2011.

1. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

So I went out with a few of my friends from school today and worked on my portrait shooting so I could get some practice in before next week when I go do my girlfriends senior pictures at the beach. I just want some constructive criticism as to things I could change up to get an even better result because this was my first time. I used a 430exII for fill as the sunlight in some places was absolutely brutal. In my Photojournalism class we have been practicing using natural light but I have yet to find a healthy balance. Anyways, Just help me out with somethings I could try to yield some better results, although I am quite happy with what I have produced, i still feel like they are missing something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Well, no-one else has responded, so I'll have a good. Your pix look fine to me (apart from the wide-angle shot with fence...): well put-together and not cheesy. Missing something? Not really. You obviously have a good rapport with the girls (the smiles look genuine... not 'forced'). I'd suggest you just carry on shooting; your work will improve in small increments. In a year's time, you'll look back on these pix with a critical eye, 'cos what you're shooting then will be terrific...

3. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I think they look good.

I'm not a huge fan of the fake eye color in the last photo, however.

The logo/watermark you put together looks very much like After Capture's logo.

http://www.aftercapture.com/

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Interesting that you should say this as that photo stuck out to me as one of the more interesting ones.

Not a fan of the first photo or the 5th. I think your composition is a little off and it feels like the photo is in between a close up and a medium shot and it is neither one or the other.

I would suggest either getting in closer to the face or moving a bit further back.

Apart from that the photo's are good!

5. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

Wow. I've never even seen that logo before lol I even put mine on here to have it critiqued before I finalized it. Shame no one noticed it before, but I'm gonna keep it anyways lol

6. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

Thanks for checking everything out guys. I've put in a lot of man hours researching different senior poses and looking at other photographers processing. I really had a good time doing the shoots and I hope that these pictures can bring in more friends to let me take their pictures. If anyone else has an opinion feel free to let it be known.

btw. That shot on the gate is one of my favorite poses of the whole shoot. I came up with it as soon as I saw the gate. I took some straight on shots that were really boring so I stood on anything I could find to tower over them. I didn't shoot it with a wide angle lens, maybe because I shot wide open at a weird angle caused it to do that?