CNET battery test for MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rossmadden, Feb 25, 2011.

1. rossmadden, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

rossmadden macrumors member

I've seen a lot of people moan about the advertised battery life on the new Pros. Job's said when Apple unveiled the new Air at Back to Mac that they used a new battery test method which would provide more realistic readings.

Last years MBPs when tested last about 7-8 hours.

Anyway, was just reading CNET's review of the new Pro and its test with VIDEO playback, so not just wireless web surfing, got 7 hours and 5 minutes, which CNET claim's to be an hour longer than last years, which had less demanding CPUs.

I hope this helps with a lot of people who think the battery life has been cut.

I hope to pick up a 13" within the next few months, my first Mac. Can't wait.

EDIT: also, this page shows how they test battery: http://reviews.cnet.com/how-we-test/laptops/?tag=rvwBody

2. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Read this earlier and was going to post, but you beat me to it! I think it is definitely worth mentioning as everyone seemed to be disappointed in the battery life of the new MBP line. I honestly think the 15" is an all around beast and will be picking up a 2.2 in the next month or so. Great stuff.

3. akhbhaat macrumors regular

I have to imagine that most of the people complaining about the supposed battery life drop never actually owned the 2010 model.

7 hours of continuous use (i.e. no sleeping) was very much the norm for my 2010 white MB under light use. I never got anywhere near 10 hours, even with the screen brightness at half and doing little more than light word processing and casual web browsing.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Their tests don't relate to any user's real-life experience in normal use. Every user's battery life will be different, based on settings, apps running, etc. When it comes to battery life, truly YMMV.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: