Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
According to CNET, the new Air will be released around June with a Sandy Bridge ULV Core i5 2537M chip 1.4 GHz that can turbo to 2.3 GHz.

So for .17 GHz upgrade we are sacrificing around 30% graphic power?

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
According to CNET, the new Air will be released around June with a Sandy Bridge ULV Core i5 2537M chip 1.4 GHz that can turbo to 2.3 GHz.

The CPU would be considerably faster, but the graphics ughh lol. The only way I can see myself grabbing a new one this year is if it comes with some type of integrated 3G plan similar to the iPad, then I'd consider downgrading the GPU.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
The CPU would be considerably faster, but the graphics ughh lol. The only way I can see myself grabbing a new one this year is if it comes with some type of integrated 3G plan similar to the iPad, then I'd consider downgrading the GPU.

Idk how the CPU would be considerably faster than a 2.13 GHz core2duo.
The only bright side to this upgrade is the fact that battery might last extra :30 -1:00 hour.

Does this mean we might see thunderbolt in the new MBA? (which i dont even care)
If the CPU processing is really that faster than the 2.13 I would like to know since I ordered an MBA yesterday :p

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Idk how the CPU would be considerably faster than a 2.13 GHz core2duo.
The only bright side to this upgrade is the fact that battery might last extra :30 -1:00 hour.

Does this mean we might see thunderbolt in the new MBA? (which i dont even care)
If the CPU processing is really that faster than the 2.13 I would like to know since I ordered an MBA yesterday :p

Clock speed isn't everything. The sandy bridge i5 should be considerably faster. With that said, buying a MBA to do intensive things with is questionable to begin with.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Yeah, the framework of the i5 is just better but. Idk, I guess ill just keep my MBA. I rather have a 320m over a ULV i5 SB Intel HD graphics.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
The main reason I bought the current MBA in January was for the C2D/Nvidia combo and I love it. It handles everything I throw at it including gaming on the LAN with my son. My fear is that the next MBAs will be graphically crippled compared to the current models. But time will tell. :)

Also, my current MBA runs silent and cool. Seeing all the current heat issues with MBs and MBPs running Sandy Bridge it will be interesting to see how cool or silent the SB MBAs run.

Last edited:

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Yeah, to be honest the only reason why I didnt wait is because GPU is so bad in the ULVs.
I rather sacrifice 10% when I have an overkill processor rather than a 30% in the GPU which is not really that good.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Thunderbolt would be a killer feature for this machine - and would open up a whole load of expansion options.

Sonnet are marketing a load of interesting accessories, from Gigabit ethernet and FW800 adapters, to RAID arrays, to full-size PCIe expansion card housings, all of which can connect via Thunderbolt.

Those CPUs are pretty fast. For everyone except gamers it should be a nice machine.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Clock speed isn't everything. The sandy bridge i5 should be considerably faster. With that said, buying a MBA to do intensive things with is questionable to begin with.

x2. Considering that Apple is the company who first talked about "megahertz myth" back in the days of the PowerPC, it's amazing how much ignorance there is about the Sandy Bridge Core i5. The CPU will be significantly faster. Look at the 13" MacBook Pro for some indication. The Core i5 in the 13" Pro is nearly as fast as the Core i7 was in the 2010 MacBook Pro.

That said, we will see about a 30-40% drop in GPU performance. Gamers may want to stay away from the next MacBook Air. That said, those who don't game ought to be able to do "intensive things" with the Sandy Bridge CPU. MP3 encoding, photo editing, complex spreadsheets, etc. ought to be nice on the Sandy Bridge MacBook Air.

To me, the decision on whether to upgrade will depend on what else is in the mix. If it comes with Thunderbolt and a backlit keyboard, I may pull the trigger. If it's the same computer but just with the Core 2 Duo/NVIDIA 320m swapped out for the Core i5/Intel HD3000 I might wait it out.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Thunderbolt would be a killer feature for this machine - and would open up a whole load of expansion options.

Sonnet are marketing a load of interesting accessories, from Gigabit ethernet and FW800 adapters, to RAID arrays, to full-size PCIe expansion card housings, all of which can connect via Thunderbolt.

Those CPUs are pretty fast. For everyone except gamers it should be a nice machine.

Those PCIe housings could make for external graphics that don't suck. Whether that is practical at all is another story.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010

To be honest, if you carry a TB to FW, RAID, PCIe expansions, whats the point of carrying an Air?
Also, will they have to sacrifice a 2.0 USB port in order to intergrate a TB port?

Idk why people say that the update affects only gamers. It affects almost everyone. OpenGLs, 3D, movies, etc.

Although I do believe the CPU will have an amazing boost, I think the GPU sacrifice will be a very huge one. But only time will tell.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
To be honest, if you carry a TB to FW, RAID, PCIe expansions, whats the point of carrying an Air?

Are you really going to carry all those? If you want to travel with the thing, just take what you need. I can see an Air + external 2.5inch RAID being a nice minimalist setup for video editing.

Also, will they have to sacrifice a 2.0 USB port in order to intergrate a TB port?

Sounds like a good trade.

Idk why people say that the update affects only gamers. It affects almost everyone. OpenGLs, 3D, movies, etc.

How does it effect movies? This new GPU is easily powerful enough to decode video. Do you watch all your movies on fast forward or something?
And what are you using OpenGL for that needs that power? Most apps run fine without much acceleration.

Although I do believe the CPU will have an amazing boost, I think the GPU sacrifice will be a very huge one. But only time will tell.

Is it huge, or is it only 30%?
These are all just rumours anyway.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Well the Samsung Series 9 already uses the chip that CNET is speculating will be in the MacBook Air, so we can compare its graphics performance.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Are you really going to carry all those? If you want to travel with the thing, just take what you need. I can see an Air + external 2.5inch RAID being a nice minimalist setup for video editing.

This is a personal opinion but here: If i had to carry a 1.5 pound weighing 2.5 inch RAID, I rather buy a MBP 13. But again, this my personal opinion, and you are entitled to yours.

Sounds like a good trade.

1 USB port in a laptop? you must be kidding. a USB port for a TB port that is useless until perhaps 6-12 months?

How does it effect movies? This new GPU is easily powerful enough to decode video. Do you watch all your movies on fast forward or something?
And what are you using OpenGL for that needs that power? Most apps run fine without much acceleration.

When we say "enough" and "runs fine" we are thinking of apps that require minimal standards. Man, when we are talking about at least quality games such as WoW, SC2, and MMO's, the difference between 320m and the Intel GPU is the difference between "playable and not playable"

50% in samsung 9 series. they use exactly the same processor.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land

I get you... it's not just about games!

When we say "enough" and "runs fine" we are thinking of apps that require minimal standards. Man, when we are talking about at least quality games such as WoW, SC2, and MMO's, the difference between 320m and the Intel GPU is the difference between "playable and not playable"

...except all your examples ARE games!

Like millions of other Mac owners, I don't play any games on my Mac and haven't for years. With iOS devices and consoles being so much cheaper, it just doesn't make any sense to me to pimp-up my Mac for gaming.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Like millions of other Mac owners, I don't play any games on my Mac and haven't for years. With iOS devices and consoles being so much cheaper, it just doesn't make any sense to me to pimp-up my Mac for gaming.

You aren't the only person Apple sells computers to either. To a lot of people being able to at least play some games on the go is a selling point that must be met for a travel device.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY

my mbp 13" i5 plays those games just fine.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I get you... it's not just about games!

...except all your examples ARE games!

Dont let my lack of knowledge be the "hole" of the argument, considering that you might know more than me, we all know GPU tasks are not only gaming, but also many other applications involve this. Again, because of my lack of knowledge this might not be 100% backed up, but I can guess that games will not be the sole purpose of a GPU.

I bet that Mac gamers are a majority rather than a minority.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
my mbp 13" i5 plays those games just fine.

yea, a MBP 13 i5 uses a different voltage than the one I stated above.

the Intel GPU largely depends on the processor power, and thus, will have a range of 30-120 FPS difference according to each processor.

Ridley

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011

Are you talking about this article from back in February that has been discussed ad infinitum on here?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1126201/

Are you referring to a newer cnet story? Do you have a link? Thanks, I am personally holding off and really hoping its true... we'll see!

Also clock rate is not the only factor for determining chip speed... in fact it is a very small factor. The new processor is not just .17 hz faster, its a whole new architecture. Its why the 2.0 Ghz i7 in the 2011 MBPs are faster than the a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 Prescott from 2004.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Are you talking about this article from back in February that has been discussed ad infinitum on here?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1126201/

Are you referring to a newer cnet story? Do you have a link? Thanks, I am personally holding off and really hoping its true... we'll see!

Also clock rate is not the only factor for determining chip speed... in fact it is a very small factor. The new processor is not just .17 hz faster, its a whole new architecture. Its why the 2.0 Ghz i7 in the 2011 MBPs are faster than the a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 Prescott from 2004.

It was a video released on 4/8/2011.
I cant link it since CNET doesnt actually show URL for videos.
Go to Cnet, Videos, Apple Byte, and it will be the second video on the list.

Yea, I have been corrected in that, but the argument on GPU still stands.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I will definitely not be moving to any laptop with intel 3000 gpu ever. Sticking with my MBA

Ridley

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
It was a video released on 4/8/2011.
I cant link it since CNET doesnt actually show URL for videos.
Go to Cnet, Videos, Apple Byte, and it will be the second video on the list.

Yea, I have been corrected in that, but the argument on GPU still stands.

Awesome, thanks! Again, really hoping for the June release. I posted before that in my biased opinion, I think it makes a lot of sense to get a new Air in time for the college discount program (i reckon the college demographic is aware of Intel's core duo vs i5 / i7 marketing) especially since i'd imagine the the Air has much higher margins than MBPs.

Regarding the graphics capabilities, you can't use the Samsung as a benchmark because of how differently OSX and Windows behave. I'd be really surprised if Apple didn't have some sort of trick, either hardware, or drivers to beat the current graphics capability at least on paper or some obscure benchmark. Even if they didn't, the amount of time you'd benefit from a better GPU over better CPU would be miniscule in almost all tasks like iLife programs, 99% of applications and even Photoshop (despite being gpu accelerated). If you are playing games... i might be able to see the argument.

Though personally if I were really into games or encoding stuff with badda boom or cuda or something I wouldn't be interested in an Air. I know a lot of people still are it seems from these boards, that's fine, i'm just weighing my personal opinion on the matter and would MUCH prefer better CPU.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
The real question is - will the back lit keyboard be reintroduced? I sure hope so. Couldn't care less about gaming but I want to see what I type in a meeting room (and don't get started with the whole "learn to type" BS)...:rolleyes:

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
some of you guys make little sense.

-you love apple computers thus the reason why you're here. you defend its price point v. PCs, flaunt the virtues of its beautiful, well thought out OS

yet you guys have so little faith to pretty much say that apple is going to screw the pooch by releasing the next mba with inferior graphics performance? what are you, insecure?

your mba right now is the top dog, but as they say the king is dead, long live the king. i'm looking forward to the update and i'm a 13 ultimate owner. i of all people should wanna put down the next version since i paid $2K out the door for this thing brand spanking new. hahahah we don't even know if it's june or nov or what yet you guys are totally dogging on vaporware. ahahaa

but i won't. never will. innovate, mega corporation, innovate!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.