CNET Prizefight: Palm Pre vs iPhone 3GS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Palm Pimp, Jun 18, 2009.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

3. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

I love how the only hardware specific test the iPhone wins, and the two carrier specific tests the pre wins.

Couldnt the idiots come up with the bright idea to test out different hardware on GASP WIFI and take the carrier out of the picture?...then well see how the pre does.

Everyone knows ATT sucks ass.

4. David-fr macrumors 6502

dOwntown SF and Att= horrible reception !!!! Is aboius but when the iPhone did not needed 3G to boot up it blast the Pre

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Um...you're signing two years of your life away to the carrier not a Wi-Fi hotspot. Carrier tests are just as important.

6. 0B1 macrumors member

yeah but the carrier test is very location specific. they should have done wifi aswell to give a better overall pic (for those people who aren't in SF)

7. jasphair macrumors member

The Palm Pre is a great phone... too bad Sprint blows. :rolleyes:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not surprised, cnet frequently picks anybody but apple on these head to head reviews/competitions. They seem to foster an anti-apple sentiment.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Uh...no they don't?

However, in this case an informal test is less than equitable, since we all know YMMV with any carrier-specific tests. I'm sure you could find plenty of places where the Pre would sit there struggling to get a connection and the 3G would do fine.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Wow, they were actually in a place where the Pre wasn't constantly fluctuating between EVDO and 1X? That studio must be on top of a Sprint cell tower.

11. trssho macrumors 6502

I used to like Brian Tong and those Asian chicks. Now I just find them lame. Had to be the most uninformative comparison ever.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's obviously informal and it's clear they were having fun doing it. Let them be.

13. trssho macrumors 6502

I used to like Brian Tong and those Asian chicks. Now I just find them lame. Had to be the most uninformative comparison ever. Brians unit was a 3g only connecting on edge, so the 3g connection for the S couldn't be stellar.

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68030

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

Wouldn't it have been awesome if they compared the three phone's web browser on the same Wi-Fi network? Who would have thunk.

16. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

PALM PRE sucks

8 GB memory limit
    No true apps - only webapps (so weak)
    No voice and data at the same time (because of Sprint CDMA network)
    No voice dialing (WTF)
    No video recording (WTF?)
    No voice memos (WTF)
    No movie rentals (over the air or otherwise)
    No visual Voicemail
    No TV show rentals
    No audiobook purchasing
    No true app store (18 is a joke)
    No console-quality games (like Resident Evil, Metal Gear, 1000's of others for iPhone)
    No Peer to Peer games
    No VoiceOver (the iPhone can read any screen to you, just like a Mac)
    No native in-car integration (iPhone has this with dozens of cars)
    No podcasts
    Crippled copy/paste (for example - you can't cut or copy a webpage or any part of it)
    No universal search (crippled - no e-mail search)
    Tiny keyboard (iPhone landscape and portrait keyboards are bigger than Pre's real keyboard)
    No auto wi-fi login (just jumps on any open network and remembers them all)
    No 7.2 Mbps network speed
    No Remote Wipe
    No Find My Phone feature
    Can't function as a Remote for the household stereo (Great for parties, especially with the iTunes DJ feature where people can request songs)
    Weak battery life
    More expensive than iPhone
    Very scratchable screen
    No oleophobic protective screen
    No real music store (Apple can break the compatibility at any time and I don't want to take that chance)
    No Voice Commands (control music playing by saying "Depeche Mode" for example)
    No Compass
    No multiple and customizable home screens like iPhone (Pre only has one screen)
    No Parental Controls
    No Video Editing
    No onboard Ringtone Creation
    No 5 person conference calls
    No Webclips

17. Lenxal macrumors regular

Most of what you said, even the iPhone didn't even have when it first came out. Jeez

18. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I knew without even watching that which one they would pick. Cnet is notoriously anti-apple in their reviews (even though a bunch of them use apple products personally). Molly Wood especially always has to get in an apple dig in almost every podcast episode she's in (and I listen to a lot of cnet's podcasts on a daily basis).

In the couple days following the announcement of the 3G S, mysteriously there was no buzz out loud podcast that made it into itunes to be synced to my phone. And then their weekly cell phone podcast that was about the 3G S announcement that week was mysteriously cut off right in the middle. Coincidence? It just becomes more and more obvious over time with these little things that happen. I'm just about over those people.

19. Doju macrumors 68000

CNet IS incredibly anti-Apple. Doesn't surprise me.

Horrid test too. Hey, let's use something standard on both so there wouldn't be such wide fluctuations?

Like what? I dunno... WIFI!?

20. computermilk macrumors 6502

This is pretty much an Inaccurate test.

It's more of a SPRINT vs ATT Prizefight then iPhone vs Pre.

If you want to call itt hat, then fine call it a Carrier match up.

Both phones should have been on WiFI, to test their true phones "speeds" to see which one loads faster, sends an email faster etc etc.

You notice that in the email pic test, she was Done WAAAY faster on the 3Gs then the Pre, but it was waiting on the ATT's Speed.

I'm also not agreeing that ATT is worse, i love ATT due to the fact that my Bill is the same exact # every month... LOVE that..

When i was on Sprint, T mobile and Vzw i always got @#@#ed up bills with weird additions to them.