CNET reviews Snow Leopard... AND WIN 7???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arthursiew, Aug 26, 2009.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I just browsed around CNET, and I realized that they reviewed Windows 7 on July 31st. How is that possible? Isn't it still in development? CNET gave Snow Leopard 8.2/10, but there's one thing that knocked me over. Windows 7 got a better score than Snow Leopard!!! I can't believe it.

2. wankey macrumors 6502a

Why can't you believe it? Snow Leopard is an evolutionary service pack. Win7 is a revolutionary OS (well for the windows world).

The products by themselves, I'd rate Windows 7 way over Snow Leopard. But as a line of products OS X vs Windows, I'd rate OS X much more consistently higher.

3. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I can't believe it, because Win 7 is not scheduled to be released until October. Basically, if Microsoft has not finished developing it, CNET would be reviewing the beta... If that's the case... it must mean that the final version will be better or rarely worse...

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Didn't they release the RTM to MSDN a couple of weeks ago?

I really don't like Cnet and take their reviews with a grain of salt; they say this in their bad "Snow Leopard works with Intel Macs only; PowerPC users are out of luck; requires $29 upgrade fee." Doesn't Windows 7 cost more than 5 times that? Then they say "Snow Leopard is worth the $29 upgrade fee." in their bottom line.

5. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I can confirm that I have a RTM Windows 7 Professional version that I downloaded from my school's MSDN. I have not installed it yet, as I am waiting on Friday, to redo my entire machine setup. I have been using the Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100

6. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Yea, I saw that too. It doesn't make sense.

7. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

they also gave good reviews to all the Zune's and I've never heard anything good from a zune owner.

8. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Occasionally, CNET gives fair reviews, but they haven't been giving fair ones lately.

9. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Windows 7 has been done for a while now and the final version has been released to developers. Consumers have to wait until October, but businesses/developers can get it now.

10. seer macrumors member

OH COME ON! Seriously I am as big a fan of OSX and macs in general as many here, but that quote just sounds like a whining twelve year old.

Snow Leopard is a service pack, its changing a fair amount of under the hood architecture for the future, but does not revolutionise the OSX operating system or the user experience by any stretch of the imagination.

The list of applications currently not working with Snow Leopard is astoundingly high and personally I have never seen as many inexplicable errors as I see on my snow leopard mac pro. Yes that includes using Windows ME all those years ago!

The features/hype in Apple's marketing for SL is ridiculously inflated. Most users will not be running a 64bit kernel, will be able to run 64bit apps WHEN they become available, and will dance a little samba around all the peripherals that may not work. The Marble effects are very limited and if I had to name one single thing that I have seen in a few weeks in using SL that is a benefit, it would be the folder browsing in stacks. Worth 29 bucks ..... barely!

My advice to everyone who is not using rendering or some other CPU intensive task that takes hours is simply wait. Upgrade to SL when something more tangible will be noticeable from your upgrade. After 3 weeks of use, I am downgrading back to Leopard as I type because there are significantly more issues with applications and hardware than there are benefits.

Thus if anything CNET got it about right, or were maybe even a little generous

11. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

If you upgraded expecting everything to just work you're an idiot.

Apple laid the foundation to bring OSX in line with other OS's namely Windows Vista SP3 (Windows 7).

I don't get all these people that act like Windows 7 is the second coming.

I have been using the RTM of Windows 7 at work on my desktop and let me just say that it is not much different than Windows Vista.

It is less annoying, but is that really a feature? Come on.

The new task bar sucks compared to OSX dock. There are some nice things but mostly I find it annoying.

Go use Windows 7