Cnet says Trojan coming under false Flash pretenses

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Btrthnezr3, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Scary but takes the user to initiate. People need to download only from the source.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20088803-263/mac-trojan-horse-poses-as-adobe-flash-installer/?tag=mncol;1n

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's no threat at all if people follow safe computing practices and only install Flash directly from the Adobe site. Never install anything that you didn't intentionally research, select and download from a legitimate, trusted site. As long as you do that, you don't have to worry about malware on Mac OS X. As the article states:
    No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

3. Btrthnezr3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know, and I always download only from adobe. Just thought it may be useful to some people.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're quite right. It's extremely helpful to know what's out there, as I'm sure we'll eventually get flooded with threads/posts about this. My post was for the benefit of those who read the article and think the sky is falling! Thanks for posting it!

5. Btrthnezr3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Lol thanks GGJ. I didn't want to seem like a freak out. I know it will help some people as long as they know. I have been very careful about downloading from only the source/company and hope others take that initiative too.