cnet_Keylogger_zip.exe?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by user418, Oct 13, 2011.

1. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

As the title states what is it? After upgrade to 10.7.2 I show this file under a developer header in finder on my 2011 MBP. It does not appear on my 2010 iMac. Also, before the upgrade I was able to see the recovery partition in system information under serial-ata on my MBP. It never appeared on my iMac. Now it is gone. Any ideas on these two issues. I hope I explained the problems correctly. Any ideas.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

When I open finder i Have the following headings:

Contacts
    Images
    PDF Documents
    Developer
    Documents

The cnet_keylogger_zip.exe is under the developer header

4. Peace, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Finder ? What do you mean by "Heading" ?

Post a screen shot please.

This is what finder looks like :

Attached Files:

5. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

Screen Shot 2011-10-14 at 1.07.00 AM.png

6. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

I can move it to the trash with no problem. But I'm concerned how it got there. When I right click and "get info" it says created 8/23/11. Am I being tracked or what? Should I erase the ssd and due clean install? Not sure how to proceed. Really appreciate you trying to assist.

7. Peace, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ok I understand now. You mean under show all my files.

Do you have a dual boot of windows or a virtual machine ?

In any case the file in question is a windows executable key logger program that can only be opened in a windows environment.

The reason it's listed as a developer associated file is probably because of the zip.exe extension.And was probably downloaded from cnet.com

And just a heads up try to merger your consecutive posts into one post. Posting two in a row is a rules violation.

8. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

No windows or virtual machine. Spouse is running a windows machine on the home network. Could that be the issue. Should I be concerned or just delete to trash.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Looks liike you copied it to your machine somehow. I wouldn't be worried about the Mac but the windows machine might have a keylogger on it. Who knows maybe the spouse was trying to install a keylogger on your machine. Depending on what files you are sharing of course.

10. user418 thread starter macrumors 6502a

user418

Thanks for the info. I don't post much and still getting the hang of it. Don't want to great the rules. Any idea what I should do at this point. You appear to be very knowledgeable in this area. Sorry to be such a dunce. The weird thing is that I upgraded the iMac and MBP in the same manner but it does not show up on the iMac. Guess I'll just delete to trash. Other than that things seem to be working properly. Really appreciate you taking the time at this late hour to help a novice such as myself.