CNN alerts on my brand new MacBook Pro = graphical error?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XciteMePls, Mar 8, 2017.

1. XciteMePls macrumors member

Please help my worrying mind. I got my 2016 15" MBP (w/ touch bar) delivered from Apple yesterday and it's a beauty. 2.7/Pro 460/1TB.

However I noticed yesterday that for some reason, when a popup notification appears (the ones on the right corner of the screen) for CNN news alerts, the small little CNN logo is glitched. It's got lines running through it and isn't a solid image... It's hard to describe without a screenshot pic. Basically the image for the CNN logo is not appearing correctly.

It's only done this for CNN alerts, not other notifications such as emails, messages, etc.

Why is this happening? Is it from a faulty GPU in my brand new Mac? :(

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

Reboot and see if it goes away.

If not try uninstalling and reinstalling the CNN app. The logo image file may have gotten corrupt.

3. XciteMePls thread starter macrumors member

But it's not an app. It's just news alerts from their website. When you first visit the site, it asks do you want to receive notifications. So I said yeah.

4. XciteMePls thread starter macrumors member

Pls tell me guys, is this a possible sign of a defective GPU or CPU? I'm not a computer whiz so if I sound ignorant forgive me...

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It's almost impossible to tell without seeing it. If the rest of the system is fine then just turn off those notifications and forget about it.

6. Tazoawake2016 macrumors member

Tazoawake2016

It's not a glitch. When you visit some websites, including Macrumours, they ask if you want to receive notifications. As you said, you approved such request from CNN and are now receiving news alerts/notifications. If you no longer want to receive them, go to Safari---> Preferences----> Notifications and remove the website from the list. Done!

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I don't think it is a matter of him not wanting to receive the notification. From my understanding, he does want the notification. His concern is that the CNN graphic that accompanies the notification appears glitched. He wants to know if it is an issue with his machine, or with the notification. OP can correct me if my understanding is not correct.

My guess is that if other notifications are appearing correctly and CNN is the only one for which the graphic appears to be glitched, it is not a machine error, but something in the CNN notification system.

8. Tazoawake2016 macrumors member

Tazoawake2016

Ahhh, on more careful reading, I think you're correct in understanding his problem. I stand corrected. :)

9. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Following your listed steps to turn off notifications and then re-enable them, might remedy the issue though.

10. XciteMePls thread starter macrumors member

Deleting the notification settings for CNN and then re-enabling them worked, I just got a new CNN notification and the logo was normal!

Thanks guys!

I love this machine. It's the most beautiful and speedy computer I've ever owned.

11. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Good news! Didn't seem like it could be a machine error if that was the only graphical issue you were having :)

12. jerryk macrumors 68030

Likely the file got corrupted in your browser's cache. Clearing the notification deleted the file, and turning them back on required the file so it pulled it down again.