CNN article comparing MBA with a few others

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Consultant, May 3, 2008.

1. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Quoted from comment of user "neil anderson" from another web site:

"When Elizabeth Mateo (cnnmoney.com) put three ultraportables through their paces, only one stole her heart. MacBook Air. “Using the Air,” she says, “is like Christmas, your birthday, and Valentine’s Day all rolled into one.” In fact, Mateo was so impressed with its looks, size, weight, and performance that the 20-year PC users says “I now lust for this laptop and will switch to a Mac as soon as possible.”"

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fsb/0804/gallery.owner_tested_nanobooks.fsb/

=)

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Probably an easy win in this line-up! I think the TP x300 would have been a tougher competitor for the MBA.

Still I love my MBA! :D

3. Olvenskol macrumors member

I love my MBA too, but it is a pretty silly article.

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

silly indeed especially in that where she states that she will never get used to a OS without a two button mouse support. I hope she is not a professional reviewer.

5. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

Actually, they are comparing all of them to the Air, sort of like, " The Air isn't the ONLY ultra light laptop" :D

Ok, sure, they beat up on the Air as it's got some obvious omissions, but your a brain dead reviewer if you think it's not a worthy contender

7. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Don't get me wrong, the Air scores a respectable 71 in its review. It's just not in their top five.

8. Olvenskol macrumors member

Of course, the key point of comparison for many of us is... "runs OSX". When you add that in, there's the Air or, ummm, .....

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

Do you own an Air?

10. Prometheus2000 macrumors member

Specs are not everything

Yes, it does not look like a very "professional" review like there are so many other out there, but it's still interesting to read. As a recent Mac Switcher (MBP) I think that "professional" tester often miss the point by just taken the technical specs to compare devices.

Its so obviouse with the iPhone, my first Apple product. On the paper a smartphone like E61 (which I owned) or the N95 are equal or even better equipped and tester can endlessly rant about that this is not in and that is not supported, but then I found myself using the iPhone hugely while I never used the E61 very much. The iPhone is just so much more easy to use, so this article, focussing not on "meehh, my laptop as 2MB more L2 Cache" is not that bad. There is so much hardware out there, brilliant from the technical engineering side, but just not very useable. (Most often because they have to install Windows on it :))

With the iPhone you just don't care that there are some things its lacking (documents, GPS and 3g) since what it can do, does it with a venegance.

But still on the paper the N95 looks much better. It amazes me often how far behind things like useability rank in tests, often "almost I just forgot to mention".

Its just I am so annoyed that now I always try to do the two finger scrolling on Windows Notebooks, just cursing "why can't they"... :)

I just could go on and on, in world ruled by engineers (like me), we would have to live with device like the E61, luckily there is Apple to shake up the industry from time to time... (do I develop into a Fanboy, oh my god, what is happening to me :))

11. Mackan macrumors 65816

As long as you don't start to defend Apple over anything they do, it is okay. Fanboys typically can't take any criticism against their dear company, thinking everything it does is flawless and correct forever and ever. No company is perfect, and Apple certainly has its good and bad sides.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Meh. The MBA isn't perfect, but it's the only computer its size that runs MacOS X. That's what I need it to do, so none of those other computers really matter to me.

Even if I was a windows user, I'm not sure any of those computers would really appeal. I need a full size keyboard, and I don't really need the DVD drive and all those other extras.

13. aussieinrome macrumors regular

aussieinrome

I was a Windows user.

I was a Windows user, in fact I still am. Windows XP runs faster on my Air under Parallels that running natively on a TX.

I use windows to run a windows only 3D animation program - otherwise I'd never use windows again.

14. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Nah. Thought about it but the minuses outweighed the positives. Of course, having tried out one I can form an opinion about it.