Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
So I just went to cnn.com and saw these new little icons... I clicked on one and apparently you can buy t-shirts with headlines on them... is it just me or is that... weird?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 324
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 162

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
No, you're not the only one. I can understand CNN selling plain shirts with something about CNN in general (which they probably do at their newsstands), but this is blatant advertising for their VOD website, which I will admit I like and go to a lot.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
This is just weird, but then news now is being sold as a product, just like anything else.

Recently on CNN I saw a "headline" something like : Gulf War Revisited - a rerun of the War for those who missed it first time around. So now we have repeats of he news, as well as shows on TV.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
they'll do anything for money and have proven that in the past. They are probably one of the better sources for a wide array of news in the US, but their tabloid-like tactics and presentation kinda drive me away.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Man, if people are actually buying stuff like that, they must not watch the business news (you know, the bits that say we're in a recession).

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
they'll do anything for money and have proven that in the past. They are probably one of the better sources for a wide array of news in the US, but their tabloid-like tactics and presentation kinda drive me away.

They're actually a really good network in all of the world---except for this country. I wish I could get the CNN International feed here; it's a much better channel.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
The Onion thought of it first

Weird, I agree. Is anyone clamoring to wear CNN headlines on a shirt? Who is buying this stuff, and why? Is it funny? I really don't get it.

The Onion has offered headline shirts for a while. But those are *supposed* to be funny.

I'm eager to see someone wearing one of these shirts, just so I can ask him/her WHY????

-Andrew

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
So I just went to cnn.com and saw these new little icons... I clicked on one and apparently you can buy t-shirts with headlines on them... is it just me or is that... weird?

I think it's really dumb idea. Shows they are now sitting there trying to come up with a story name that looks good on a t-shirt.

"Cat gets stuck up on Telephone wire, falls."

Seriously? Is that what the news has come to now.

If they would have thought of this earlier, maybe they could have made money off of Britney Spears debacle. :mad:

Ridiculous.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
True, if you check CNN there will be a headline, then a few hours later it will be worded slightly differently. Seriously.

Obviously the first one wasn't catchy enough, too wordy for the small t-shirt :) Joking

I think it's really dumb idea. Shows they are now sitting there trying to come up with a story name that looks good on a t-shirt.

"Cat gets stuck up on Telephone wire, falls."

Seriously? Is that what the news has come to now.

If they would have thought of this earlier, maybe they could have made money off of Britney Spears debacle. :mad:

Ridiculous.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
I saw that yesterday and thought about making a post about it also....

Pretty weird and dumb idea....

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I prefer my clothing to be marketing free.

And I really don't need a shirt that says:

"Barracks aswim in feces, ickiness"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.