CNN Virus Read it on my iPhone ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RussOniPhone, Aug 8, 2008.

1. RussOniPhone macrumors member

Just a heads up there is a virus going around according to my IT people and after searching Google, I have to say I followed a link with my iPhone and I thought something funny was up and had to restore my iPhone, but I was probably just panicking it seemed like my email was real busy the little hour glass didn't seem to stop. I removed my Exchange email address due to this is where that email came from ( Re-thinking having Exchange on my iPhone..) and all seem to work out. This virus was apparently when you followed the link. Again I was suspicious since the CNN link said something about unlocking to most powerful something on your iPhone or something to that effect. Search Google, just an FYI

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

so basically, you think you got a virus from CNN.com correct? did you read the full URL, might have been fake

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I don't know if this is the same thing, or related, but I've gotten something close to 100 e-mails from CNN today about different news stories. Anyone Else?

TEG

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I've gotten about 20 or so, all in my spam box. Deleted them all since I never gave my email to CNN or signed up for any newsletter.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I have not got a thing on this...? Does anyone have a link to a story or report on this?

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Got a couple of them in my gmail account today, but went directly to the spam folder so I never got them on my iPhone.

7. agbot macrumors regular

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Heyseus, I have not been effected whatsoever, I find it funny how people can get frustrated with something so simple as quitting or restarting your computer as a fix. Looks nasty for those who don't know any better than to check the URL you download from before installing anything.

9. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

I wonder what CNN has to say about...of all the news sites, they chose CNN...lol

10. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

This is a faked email if you read the headers and the links. I saw it today and there is one link valid on CNN but the "Full Story" link takes you to a spoof site to install the malware flash knock off.

This has nothing to do with CNN or anything they are just using the name since people are morons and click anything from a valid source...

11. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Damn. I was hoping the link was pr0n. Oh well. Malware is good enough ;)

These are the reasons I enjoy my Mac and Linux boxes. *Sigh of relief* I'm glad that there isn't much worth in malware to my platforms yet.

12. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Maybe that's their motive - to prove that point.

13. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I got a couple of these on my Yahoo account and knew not to bother opening them for the same reason mentioned before (I didn't ask for anything from CNN so I wasn't going to open anything from them). The problem is the stupid Mail app in the iPhone always wants to open the next message when I'm done with the current one. This is a preference on other readers and phones and it ticks me off I don't have the option on the iPhone to just return to the in-box after moving or deleting a message. Instead, I have to return to the in-box, then tap edit so I can move or delete messages. With so many spam messages, simply reading them is all that's needed to get your address 'verified' as they load HTML images from the spammer's server.

Also, is there any way to view the header info without opening the message first (other than wait until I'm back at my computer)?

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If you just look at your list and see one with a Subject and first 2 lines or whatever that look suspect, you can not open them on your iPhone. Then you can go to Edit or whatever and delete it. It'll be gone then. You could investigate further from a desktop in your trashes folder.

15. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Your IT people need to be fired for not knowing how to do their job.

They need or rather SHOULD know the difference between Virus, Malware, Trojan, Dumb user that will install anything put before them (which doesn't mean the software is or is not a virus).

16. midas888 macrumors newbie

17. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

yet the sheep errr masses yearn for it dearly on their precious ;)