Co Worker or Friend

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Aug 10, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Me and a co worker have been hanging out after work at his house watching movies and play video games. Were going to a movie soon. Though he said that me and my friends do this so we should too. Does this mean were just acquaintances / co workers or are we actually friends?

Though It makes me wonder if were just hanging because his friends are busy/ on vacation.

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

You're old enough to have a job, but you still can't tell if someone is your friend?

I'd assume you two are friends, seeing as how you go over to his house and hang out, and soon will be hanging out at other places too.

I like to define acquaintances as people I just talk to occasionally, but don't actually spend time with. Co-workers are like acquaintances, but on the grounds that I only talk to them/interact with them at work.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For some reason it struck me as odd too that you're old enough for a job but you're confused as to what you and this person may be?

You're friends and if he doesn't want to hang with you when his friends are back in town then he's a douche.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you're at the point where this person is asking you over to their home--you are friends. It's pretty casual to watch a movie and play a video game together. You seem nervous about that.

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

To be fair to the OP, there is that weird middle ground gray area, the "work friend." Somebody with whom you do all the stuff you'd do with a regular friend, and you get along great, but as soon as one of you leaves the company, for whatever reason, you never hang out again. It's not always easy to tell who is a "work friend" and who is a friend you made at work until after that moment of truth.

My suggestion would be, don't worry about it. It may seem tawdry to some, but it can be quite enjoyable, some might say healthy, to engage in the occasional casual friendship without all the strings and commitment of a long-term friendship. Just relax and enjoy the benefits (of, you know, Xbox) for as long as it lasts, and if it develops into a real friendship, good for you. Otherwise, at least you got some great Halo out of the deal.

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I myself am very skeptical of people being overly friendly or friendly for that matter.

I say, keep your eyes open. If he seems shifty, just watch out.

If he ditches you after his friends come back, immediately remove him from your personal life.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Of course you are skeptical of people being friendly--you're a New Yorker. :)

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Or open a new thread.

9. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

After going to Atlanta for 3 years, I would prefer the people in my NY hometown anyday.

10. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

So what are you saying, he should quit his job to see if they are really friends? :D

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Remove? That's harsh.
    I think understand the terms of the relationship and don't invest any more than a casual work friendly relationship would require. You can always hang when convenient but don't go out of your way or count on them to help you move.;)