Coating on the glass trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macsymacker, Jan 6, 2012.

1. macsymacker macrumors member

hi all,

today i was lying on the couch with air on me so i was looking at it from a very narrow angel and i noticed that parts of the trackpad where i touched more were lighter in colour and reflect the light more and the rest were darker.

i extremely rarely use the trackpad so i don't understand how come is this possible that the coating is already wearing off?

i assume this is some sort of oleophobic coating like the one on the ipad but the ipad's last a million times longer.

what's your experience on the subject?

thank you!

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

It's grease from your fingers. Clean it and it will go away.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

It's likely just oil from your fingers. Try cleaning the trackpad area with a cloth sprayed with a bit of glass cleaner and tell us if you still see it.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Like others said, it's probably something from your fingers. Try cleaning it and see if it's still there.

5. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

You extremely rarely use the trackpad? Why not? Just wondering :)

6. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

As others have said I believe your essences and seepages are to blame.

7. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I think OP realized that and feels stupid and thats why he is not saying anything. lol

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

by chance ... did you have any greasy chicken for dinner?

9. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I hardly blame them i.e. E. coli and staph.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use to a trackpad protection film. It looks all clear to me!

11. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

hi everyone, sorry couldn't respond earlier, been very very busy counting ducks in the farm and deers.

I mentioned the word "oleophobic". as you surely know it is used to refer to the anti-oil coatings and comes from the Krypton word combo for "oil-fetish". ;-)

also having found out what oil is 3 weeks ago next year when I first tried to fry a pizza, I assure you, along with seeing what greasy fingers are and the marks they tend to leave, especially after having experiences with tablets like the rest of the civilised world here in Babylonia (except my farm where they hit quite later than the rest) I know what oil is (as wife bumps head with bat for each time).

so therefore, I see that I did the most wrongest mistake of not clarifying and I should have; I indeed did try to clean it BEFORE pumping the pen with ink to have the original letter written no matter how much the birdy tried to rush as he had a few more stops on the way of delivering it to here.

although I highly appreciate the suggestions to "clean it", I would have much rather preferred some more constructive ways of dealing with the issue such as suggestions for ways of cleaning it like TheRealDamager suggested, as I already tried which I assumed people would get since I mentioned the oleophobic coating. also, nobody unfortunately said anything whether this thing has special coating or not on the glass trackpad.

I will now go for the suggestion of TheRealDamager and try his/her way, which I expect to work if it is indeed nothing but a strange layer of oil and not any coating wearing off. since the winds eased a lil, gots to be easier to fly so expect a quicker response time from my homing pigeon.

and dear ritmomundo, for now my computer stays usually at home and most the time it's on a table with a separate keyboard/trackpad/mouse combo accompanying it through the lonely nights when they play guitar so therefore haven't used the trackpad on the air itself much.

anyway, thank you all. ;-) chers!

12. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Some of the most well written dripping sarcasm I've seen in quite a while. Well done.

13. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Barely understood more than 5 words in a row. Well done.

14. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

15. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Well, trackpad in MBA's case is not only useful for outdoor usage. You are missing a lot of the functionality using a mouse - even with the magic mouse which is...well, meh. Especially Lion feels like it is built having the MBA and its multitouch trackpad in mind (switching workspaces, safari pages etc etc using gestures is something you cannot live without it after a while).

/off-topic

16. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Best 2012 post I have read so far :-D Great style here!

17. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

To be fair, I think the OP stated he has a separate trackpad on his desk so I am sure he understands the advantages of one. Dare I say anything else, in fear of more sarcasm in response? Bravo though! Great effort. You should be living in the UK if you are already that is.

18. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Yup, fair enough, OP indeed stated he uses mouse/trackpad. Still, I want to make sure that in case he uses a mouse (and not a trackpad since he didn't specified) he should try the multi gestures of MBA. It would be a real shame having an MBA and not using its multi gestures. And I do believe that Lion was built having the MBA in mind.