Coaxial Cable - Use Cheap Phono Instead?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kolax, Apr 27, 2011.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I'm looking to hook my Sky box up to my home cinema by coaxial. Unfortunately, I've only got 2 optical inputs on the receiver, which are both in use. I'm not after amazing sound quality, after it, it'll be for watching normal day to day TV programs.

I also don't want to spend £20 on a cable that won't sound significantly better than a cheap phono cable.

I currently have my Apple TV plugged in via component, and I'm using cheap Red/White phono cables, and everything is great. I didn't notice any reduction in video quality when going from HDMI to my cheap component way.

I don't own any spare phono cables, and all my cables that are in use are tied up/hidden away. So before I buy one, is there any reason this would be a bad idea? I've never dealt with coaxial digital audio before.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/phono-plug-to-plug-lead-1019?ordercode=L01BA Is what I'd likely buy.

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

The handful of times I've hooked up coaxial digital audio signals, I've used whatever rca cable I had handy and never had a problem. There won't be any quality issues (it's digital). The worst case, if you had a really poor cable, is that you might get dropouts.