COBRA alternative

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Feb 18, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So I am leaving my job and no longer have health insurance

COBRA is expensive as a mofo(~600/month for just me)

Any good alternatives to this?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can get your own insurance through Blue Cross/Blue Shield (check your state) and United Healthcare.

However, as you've documented that you have a now-documented health issue getting independent insurance may be a problem. Fortunately in a group there are typically different restrictions for people who come in with pre-existing medical conditions. Lots of times they're insurable under a group policy but not as an individual. You may find this to be the case with you.

As such, Cobra will insure based on your previous employer's policy. I am surprised as you quit on your own, that you are being offered Cobra.

You should note that these are issues that likely make you uninsurable:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=765282
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=865857

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Aetna was cheap for me when I went back to school.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No I am not kidding you one bit. High cholesterol to the point where it is 300+ and "ok" is under 240. So yeah. But you can test that theory, I could be wrong but I two common issues that anyone of any race, size, shape and gender can get and I am uninsurable.

My responses are based on personal experiences going through the process of trying to get insured. If you don't like them then that is ok, maybe you should be googling insurance companies and making a couple of phone calls.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Assurant health has pretty good rates. When I was shopping around, they were cheaper than some other companies, and they had customizable plans, so you could leave out maternity, for example. High cholesterol may not completely bar you from getting insurance, but it may hike rates and fall under pre-existing conditions and not be covered for a certain amount of time.

7. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Watch out for health insurance offered on web sites that is in any way linked to ATA (American Trade Association). They sell without any state license and the policy is backed by Beema Insurance, the largest insurance company in....Pakistan!!!:eek:!!!

I sucked it up and went with COBRA after my divorce. After 30 years of coverage I couldn't get anything because I have epilepsy that has been managed for like 50 years.

Dale

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

COBRA is probably going to be your cheapest option.

You could probably call a local financial planning agency, as they usually broker the insurance for small companies. Only a few insurance companies will pick up individuals at any one time.

Insurance is expensive as hell. Your going to find the crappiest coverage for the absolute most amount of money.

My only advice is to look at state run agencies. Here in NY we have something called HealthyNY, which is cheap, better than nothing insurance, but you have to qualify for it. I think as an individual, you would have had to exhausted your COBRA.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You won't find a better deal for individual insurance than COBRA. COBRA allows you to pay for insurance using your previous employers lower, discounted rates. How do I know this? My COBRA is expiring. I pay around $470 a month for single coverage. To get comparable insurance in NYS, it costs $1,200.

My only other options are crappy catastrophic coverage for $200 a month or a coverage with a lot of holes (no office visit coverage for example) for about $500.

Take your COBRA coverage until you get a new job after you move.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

+1 what rdowns said.

COBRA will give you the best coverage, especially with some of the issues that will surely prevent you from getting good insurance.

Edit: I am curious dukebound85 on how you feel about health care reform now? old thread. As you went back to do more research and have unfortunately hit a situation that many people are facing today.

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I thought as long as there was no lapse in coverage it was okay? At least in New York, I think that's how it is. I went off my parents' insurance a few years ago and got my own; despite having a heart condition that makes me not-so-desirable I had no lapse in coverage and picked up under another plan without a glitch.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yowie! that's a lot!

Check out Blue Cross for an individual policy, or perhaps there's an HMO where you moving to? Something like Kaiser? Companies do offer policies for individuals and you should be able to find something cheaper. Also, consider looking for policy with a higher deductible.

I'll be surprised if you're uninsurable because of the cholesterol issue, but I guess you'll find out.

Insurance is state-specific so you'll probably have to get yours through a Colorado based branch of whatever insurance company you go with

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Isn't there some sort of CORBA tax credit or something going on right now? or is that only if you lose your job vs. voluntary separation?

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It was for those who lost their jobs 9/1/09 or later, not voluntary separation. Of course, I missed that by 9 days. Would have saved me $303 a month. :(

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, other conditions that are manageable with minimal cost (e.g., hypothyroidism, costs maybe $200 a year to treat, including lab work, or about $50 a year to treat just counting medication) have been used as sufficient reason to deny coverage to individuals. It varies from insurer to insurer; BCBS is the insurer "of last resort," so they're the best bet on being unlikely to deny you.

17. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

If you can get Individual (IFP) insurance, do it. COBRA can be crazy expensive, so get IFP. I work for a health insurance GA, and my suggestion would be Aetna or Anthem BC. That should run you ~$180 (CA Rates/middle plan) for yourself only. It can be cheaper if you get a high deductible plan, but don't get the cheapest one. Stuff happens and you wouldn't want to get a massive med bill.