Cobra iRadar

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thatoneguy82, Nov 19, 2011.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-iRadar-...2ICS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321774424&sr=8-1

Saw this while browsing at the Apple Store and gave it a try. Price was good to me, considering the product and name. Now, this is my first ever radar, so I don't even know how it works. I did manage to get it connected via BT and thankfully my phone stayed connected as well. Now, it communicates such things as speed, police sightings and such, etc. Now, the actual radar is on the dashboard, connected to the cigarette lighter that is underneath the gear shifter. Needless to say there are a lot of wires. So my question is, do I even have keep the radar by my windshield or just have it in the car? I'm thinking windshield since the front of it has that RF red plastic thingy (I don't know). But, I want to make sure.

Also, do I have to open the app manually when I get in the car? or as soon as the BT connects, is the communication automatic and it will open the app (or walk in the background) by itself?

Anyone else have this? This is my first ever radar. So, I don't really know what's good or not. I got it for fun. I saw it, it looked fun, I had the money, so I bought it. If it does inform me or police radars, then great. So, please no lectures on radars, police, laws, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. hizzaah macrumors 6502

their video says "the higher you mount it, the better it works"..

and their website says they have a hardwire kit so you can run a wire from your radar to like the fusebox or some other electrical source. that way you can be creative with where you run the wire
    https://www.cobra.com/detail/hardwire-cord.cfm

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Thanks. I thought that may be the answer.

Any one else have experience with this device?

4. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I have this. I'll take photos tomorrow, to show you how I mounted and wired this in the car.

The only time you NEED to connect to it via bluetooth, is when you want to change settings. Once you set it up, it will work as it should without the need to launch the app, or even connect to it anymore.

5. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Great, thanks. The photos will help and give me some idea on how to install mine.

Today actually, I forgot that I had it and it automatically connected to my phone's BT (and the car connected too). It spoke and said something like all settings are good, I forget, but it was a good. I look at my phone to bring up the app to start using it, but lo and behold, the app was already opened by itself! Probably it's some sort of update. But everything seems to be automatic, I just need to install it.

6. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Was thinking about buying this but was really unsure.

I'm guessing obviously you two have it. What's your opinion on it? 1 out of 10? I work at a retail store and we just got it in stock a few months ago. I can get it for only $85 with my discount!

heard too many mixed reviews for it though

THANKS!

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

You know, I may be the wrong person for an honest opinion. I only owned one radar detector, and it was years ago. I got the cobra as a gift, and I like it. It's saved my butt more then once. I hardly ever launch the app on the iPhone though. It's almost a novelty to me, but need it to make any changes to the device. Over all, I like it.

8. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I forgot about this thread! sorry! Here's a dark pic, but you'll get the idea of the mount. I tapped into the electric from my overhead light.

Attached Files:

9. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

wait... i thought the iradar didnt have any lights or anything? most reviews I read say it sucks on its own. Guess i'm just gonna have to check one out.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Applies to all RD's. OP -- read up on an RD forum. Though you wouldn't have bought Cobra to begin with if you had done so.

11. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I didn't need a really good one. I just wanted one that was convenient and easy to use. I know there's a lot more out there, but what I have is sufficient for my needs.

Anyway, I got lazy with mounting this thing and have left in my center console. It's not covered at all however. And, I still get alerts. A lot of alerts. GPS speed is accurate per the app and everything else. So, now I'm not that motivated to install it elsewhere since I have no knowledge of car circuitry.

----------

Thanks for posting this. If and when I get the motivation I my do something similar. Unfortunately, that spot where yours is, for me is the location of emergency response call button. Also, the control for the sunroof/moonroof and the lights in the car. It may prove to be a little tricky. I don't want to mess up the emergency response system, it's already saved my life once. If it didn't automatically call for help when it detected airbag deployment and knocked me unconscious with fractured ribs and blocked airway, I'd be dead.