Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleboyjohnny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Kent, United Kingdom
I've just stupidly dropped a full coca cola bottle onto the left hand side of my Uni body late 2008 2.4ghz MacBook Pro.

The hard drive has been making a very very very strange noise, sounds like something isn't right and the colourful spiral just seems to be going round and round. The MacBook Pro is unresponsive.

What do you guys advise?

chopper dave

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
turn it off, remove the battery, remove the hard drive, then try to back it up using another computer. Did you actually spill liquid into it, or did you just physically drop the bottle? If it's liquid you probably need to send it in for repairs, or at least let someone qualified clean off the logic board so the acid in the soda doesn't continue to eat away the wires. If physical only, try a new HDD and see if it returns to normal, if not you're in for a repair job.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I've just stupidly dropped a full coca cola bottle onto the left hand side of my Uni body late 2008 2.4ghz MacBook Pro.

The hard drive has been making a very very very strange noise, sounds like something isn't right and the colourful spiral just seems to be going round and round. The MacBook Pro is unresponsive.

What do you guys advise?

Sucks bro, coca cola is so much worse that just straight water...

I'm not going to give any advice here, you're in a bit of a sticky situation. :(

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Questions:
Was the bottle open or closed?
If it was open, how long ago did this happen? If it just happened turn the computer off, take out the battery, reset the pri, and wait a week or so. If you have access to a large desicator,(I'm a chemist) its not a bad idea to stick it in there.

Appleboyjohnny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Kent, United Kingdom
thankfully the bottle was closed :)

I've managed to get it switched on, the hard drive is no longer making a noise and all seems well. Just everything seems to be taking a while to load! I'm guessing I've damaged it somehow so I'll just order a new hard drive!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

I've managed to get it switched on, the hard drive is no longer making a noise and all seems well. Just everything seems to be taking a while to load! I'm guessing I've damaged it somehow so I'll just order a new hard drive!

Yeah get a new HD before it dies and back up, you should have said it was a closed bottle! lol you're lucky.

GeorgeCWB

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010

hahahahha Oh dear. AT LEAST your lid was on, I am currently typing on a disfigured ASUS G71 which had coke accident. Trust me, once that stuff goes in - computer go bye bye :D

I am typing on an external keyboard and trying to hear myself think over the churning of my system hardware. Oh the good times!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Sorry to hear. Good that it was shut and the bottle was closed; otherwise you'd have a troubled computer in your hands.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
Back it up anyway. That drive could die at any minute.

Actually, this applies regardless of whether it's been struck with a bottle of sugar water. Back it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.