Cocktail alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jent, Jan 4, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I love the application Cocktail and used it regularly to run maintenance commands on my Macs. The demo has expired, and with a single license costing $15 and a family pack costing $30, I can't see myself buying two family packs to cover all the Macs that my family and I have. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good (free or cheap) alternative that has some under-the-hood settings and allows the user to run all of the commonplace maintenance scripts. Thanks!

2. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Wait to see if it'll be released in the Mac App Store tomorrow (Jan 6), and if so, a once time purchase and ALL the Macs in your house are able to use it.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've used MacJanitor before but not on 10.6. It just runs the usual maintenance scripts so I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's free.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Buy a family license and use it on all the machines. That way, the makers will at least get some income from you. Just saying.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Cocktail is a complete and total waste of money. OnyX is a free alternative as Weaselboy has already posted. However, OnyX is also unnecessary. MacOS X automatically provides its own routine maintenance. These third-party apps merely put a GUI on tasks that the OS performs on its own.

7. belsaye macrumors newbie

Cocktail Mmmmmm...

I have used cocktail for some time, however, I just upgraded to mountain lion, when I went to check for software compatibility, as I expected cocktail [snow leopard] would not work with mountain lion, so I went to the maintain website and downloaded the mountain lion version.

I went to check the registration, it would not accept my s/n number! informed me I would have to pay! Their website states that once you buy all future upgrades are free. Still waiting for a reply to my email.:mad: