Cocktail or MacKepper?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Satnam1989, Dec 4, 2011.

?

Which Program/Utility Should I get?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2011.
  1. Cocktail

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Mackeeper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I was looking to buying a Utility app to clean up a bit on my MBP....Cocktail and Mackeeper are both on sale this weekend.....wondering which one should I get? I don't use my macbook pro to do anything crazy, just regular web browsing, document editing, and watching movies as well as downloading torrents every now and then.....let me know ONLY if you have one of the two, and why did you pick it Thanks in advance.

Poll:

Option 1: Cocktail
    Option 2: MacKeeper

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

are these in the appstore?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

5. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know OSX is amazing but still thought if I am going to get a utility app, which one should I get.....thats why I wanted user input on who bought what and why.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not about OS X being "amazing." It's about utility apps being fairly unnecessary. The only utility I'd recommend is Onyx, and even that isn't necessary to keep a Mac running well. Deleting files will not improve your Mac's performance, unless you're almost out of disk space.

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

7. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks buddy I truly appreciate your input, my MBP is running excellent no issues what so ever, I suppose I could pass on buying any Utiliity app. Since i Don't need it as you state. As for Antivirus any suggestions that I can use one in a blue moon to just scan things?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    If you insist on running 3rd party antivirus software:
    • ClamXav is a good choice, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system.
    • Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here... and here.
    • iAntiVirus has an inaccurate malware definitions list that includes many items that aren't even malware, so their detection accuracy is untrustworthy. This post will give details.

9. Satnam1989 thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright thanks. Also I was wondering if you understand this command/script a member posted it on a thread where I asked about putting my HDD in optical bay drive to sleep/ waking it up with ease......:

set myVolumeLabel to "PARTITION NAME GOES HERE"

tell application "Finder"
    set diskDev to do shell script "diskutil list | grep \"" & myVolumeLabel & "\" | grep -o 'disk[0-9]*' "
    if not (disk myVolumeLabel exists) then
    do shell script "diskutil mountDisk " & diskDev
    else
    do shell script "diskutil unmountDisk " & diskDev
    end if
    end tell

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't have that setup, but I'm sure if you search the forum, you'll find useful information in some of the existing threads on that topic:

How to keep your opti-bay hard drive in sleep until accessed ...
    Delayed Wake from Sleep with Boot SSD in Optical Bay, Solutions ...