Cocktail Vs. Mac Tune Up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MonkeyET, Oct 18, 2009.

1. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Does anyone know the specifics, or have a specific opinion, regarding the use of Cocktail or Mac Tune Up? I have the trial of Cocktail based on the recommendation from MacLIfe, but I see that my local Best Buy carries the Mac Tune Up application. There is a minimal price difference so I ask, what would you use, if any?

I have a 2009 iMac purchased in July and want to keep things running smooth. I love this computer!!!:apple:

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Depending on what you're doing with these apps, chances are you don't _really_ need to use them. Most of the things they do (daily/weekly/monthly scripts, for example) will get done anyway, and other things (like repairing permissions) are mostly snake-oil fixes anyway.

The biggest advantage these kinds of programs offer is providing all of this functionality in one place (rather than having to jump out to the Terminal for some, Disk Utility for others, etc), and as far as I'm concerned, that's not worth the $$.

There are free options for this kind of utility as well. The first one that comes to mind is OnyX (though I can't vouch for it anymore...I don't use any apps like these).

3. McShizzel macrumors regular

I have Cocktail (got it during a sale), never used Mac Tune Up.

I totally agree with epochblue, these apps aren't really needed, I've used Onyx and that works well and best of all it's free. But to tell you the truth my computer doesn't feel any faster or more stable after running these maintenance apps and I hardly ever use them.

4. MonkeyET thread starter macrumors 6502

Being new to the game I am unsure exactly what the scripts are anyways. My question would be when would these run if the computer is in Sleep mode overnight? I thought sleep was only a low power state. Is the computer still processing information???