Cocoa or C++?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Midnightshowers, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Midnightshowers macrumors newbie

Whoaaa-kay. Here we go.

I know C++ is going to be largely more useful for what I want to do, and is generally more used. Thus. In your professional opinions ( :p ), should I learn Cocoa or C++ first?

2. kpua macrumors 6502

There are dozens of threads exactly like this one. I think you would benefit the most from searching through them.

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

We are getting new threads about C++ almost every other day.. I need to write up a FAQ.

But to answer the question - learn one or the other, not both (for now). Or just learn C, which both are derived from.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a nonsensical question. C++ is a programming language and Cocoa is an application framework. It's like asking "Engine or Diesel Fuel?"

You should be searching the threads for Cocoa or Carbon or for Objective-C or C/C++. There are plenty of answers out there. :)

5. charray macrumors newbie

It makes some sense if we review his question in another way...

His question seems to be whether to learn C++ or Cocoa first. It does not matter if C++ and Cocoa are the same type of thing. It would be similar to asking "Which one should I understand first, Engine's working principle or Diesel Fuel?" There aren't any problems with this, right? ;)

Returning to the question, I have just learnt C++ and Java in my University. I don't know Cocoa yet. Usually I spend time in terminal so I don't even feel sorry about not knowing how to program outside terminal.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's a flaw in your logic: it doesn't make sense (to me) to learn a framework absent of a language. so if he decides to learn cocoa first, then his next question would be: "okay, now what language?"

it's like deciding to learn Rails before learning anything about Ruby. how much would that actually buy you?