Cocoa+OSX=iPhone OS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waywardsage, Jul 26, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I remember watching the all the keynotes that pertained to the iPhone and I remember them saying that the OS of the iPhone IS OSX. Is this true?

I come from a Windows world and I still think programing from back in the DOS days. Isn't OSX programed using Cocoa? What is Cocoa? How is it different from what Windows and DOS used to use? Why do all the developers for the iPhone say its so easy to write for and is SO AMAZING?

I'm just curious, i'm not a programer, just really interested in tech. Can anyone put what makes Cocoa so amazing in laymans terms?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

techinal it is the iphone OS, that is what it is called, yes OSX is build on a cocoa which is like cocoa touch (Which the iphone is build on), and has many features of cocoa, but the touch and UI of iphone OS is very different

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

the iphone runs the same kernel as osx, so technically is running osx, although it appears differently
    remember the keynote? SJ said about power/resource management, and a few other things, this is all down to the kernel
    [​IMG]
    the kernel is the most basic part of an OS
    [​IMG]

Cocoa is an API (Application programming interface) - one of 5 used for OSX, although it is in the main API
    read here for more info

4. wronski macrumors 6502

5. wrboyce macrumors 6502

BSD :p

6. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

Well if you want to get picky then, Free BSD actually, which is based on BSD which is a Unix variant and using the Mach kernel.