Cocoa & Spot Colors

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by superscape, Nov 10, 2014.

1. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi,

I've been looking into creating spot colours (e.g. Pantone 032 etc) in Cocoa. I don't see any way of doing it in CoreGraphics, unless I'm being dumb and missing something?

Does anyone know how this is generally done? Just a rough point in the right direction would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. numero macrumors regular

I started writing a reply, but then I realized I don't really understand your question. I know what you mean by Pantone colors. Could you explain your need a little further? Are you wanting to display on screen a proximity of the Pantone color? Do you want to write the color values to a file? Or something else? The answers would help shape my response.

3. superscape, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me!

What I want to do is create a PDF that contains an additional separation. That's to say, a additional spot colour. I've attached a PDF as an example which has a spot colour I've made up called "My Spot Color' (the name and RGB values could be arbitrary or from a library such as Pantone).

If you look at the screenshot from Adobe Acrobat's Output Preview tool, you can see how the spot colour appears.

If I was to print this PDF out as separations (as you would for a printing press) then I'd get 4 separations for the CMYK red colour and a single separation for the green.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for you help

Attached Files:

4. numero macrumors regular

I kind of thought that is where you were going. Unfortunately, my experience is in the opposite direction. I had a previous project where I had to take files that represented the separations (single bit TIFF files) and save them out as a composite color image. C, M, Y and K as well as spot colors.

This problem intrigues me. I may keep working on this in the background -- just to find out how the representation is made in the PDF.

Sorry I couldn't contribute anything on this one.

-numero

5. superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

No problem. Thanks for your time.

It looks like it's possible using PDFLib* but it costs a small fortune.

At the moment, I'm creating PDFs with spot colors by sending info to a PHP based web service of my own devising which uses TCPDF to generate the PDF I need and send me the PDF back.

Whilst that works, its a scruffy solution and relies on network connectivity. I'd like my app to be self contained and make the PDFs itself. I can do everything I need in Core Graphics *except* the spot colors. How infuriating!

I guess another solution might be to create my graphics as postscript then convert that to PDF. Again, that seems scruffy although at least it doesn't need a network connection.

Hmmm... still interested in any ideas or suggestions!

* http://www.pdflib.com/products/pdflib-family/pdflib/
    ** http://www.tcpdf.org

6. superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

7. superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

Just wondered whether you ever got chance to take a look at this? I stuck with my TCPDF solution in the end but I'd love to be able to support spot colors in my app.

8. numero macrumors regular

I just saw this. A year and a day isn't too long to wait for a reply. :)
    I do not have a better answer than what you came up with.

-numero

9. superscape, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hah hah! Thanks for the response, albeit after a length break.

We ended up using TCPDF for a lot of stuff, and a home-grown Obj-C based PDF creation library for the simple stuff. It does seem like a major omission for Core Graphics though. I do wish Apple would add spot colour support.