Coconut Battery at 93%

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingshrubb, Sep 14, 2008.

1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Yeah so after 12 cycles my coconut battery is reporting 93% current battery capacity. Anything I can do to improve this? :confused:

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Lucky man. After 29 cycles, coconutBattery shows that my battery has only 19% original battery capacity :(
    Do you calibrate battery in accordance with Apple's recommendations?

3. cristo macrumors regular

Wow, what have you done to your battery? Mine's at 34 cycles and still over 100%

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Over 100%.. Reeaallly..??

* * Over 100%.. Really..?? * * Mine is about 1 year old... 105 cycles and generally around 90-93% and I do try to Condition about monthly...

Please send a Screenshot... Enquiring Minds want to know how.. :cool:

5. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Nothing. My MBP is 17 months old and most of the time was used plugged (power supply), only occasionally on the battery. Everything was fine (I mean - battery 97%), but two weeks ago when I worked at the battery, Mac just shut down. Since that day, MBP does not charge the battery, and coconutBattery indicates that battery capacity is 19%.

6. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

If you're running Leopard, then CoconutBattery may not be accurate. I recommend installing iStatPro, a widget that shows you information about your Mac including its battery. Or you can also check the System Profiler and click on Power for information about your battery including its serial number and the battery's health.

CoconutBattery tells me that my MacBook's battery has 96% of charge with 7 battery load-cycles, while iStatPro tells me that the battery is at 100% health with 195 cycles, which is true according to the System Profiler, telling me my battery's health is 'good'.

7. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Thanks for reply. Yes, I'm running Leopard. I just checked the information in System Profiler. Unfortunately, coconutBattery was accurate; System Profiler indicates 1074 mAh (about 20% original 5500 mAh) full charge battery capacity and 29 cycles. So it seems that I have to look for a new battery :(

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

This sucks. My battery is down to 81% from 69 cycles. Better call Apple... :(

9. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Yesterday I was in iSpot (some kind of Apple -- here in Poland we haven't Apple Store and geniuses) but with no luck. MBP is no longer under warranty, so they can't help me. It's really sucks...

10. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

re calibrate the battery a few times and you will see the number in the health bar raise little by little

my battery is still at 97% with 337 cycles :D

11. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Thanks for suggestion! I'll definitely try this and see what happens.

12. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Hey good stuff. Can you tell us how you use your battery? Are you on battery power regularly? Do you ever leave it plugged in for long periods. Do you deep cycle the battery, meaning that if you use it, you drain it down really low and then give it a full charge back? Just give us a description of your useage pattern so we can all get a feel for optimal battery treatment, cause it sounds like you're doing pretty well if those numbers are accurate.

How old is the computer by the way?
    Mine's at 84% after 131 cycles, 15 months. Pretty rough, especially considering I work a lot on electric vehicle batteries, I should know this stuff!

13. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Yes, do this. I've been taking somewhat good care of my battery and with a few proper calibrations achieved about 3% or 4% more.

14. kingshrubb thread starter macrumors regular

kingshrubb

15. cristo macrumors regular

It doesn't *say* over 100%, but rather says original capacity: 5020, current capacity: 5107. Of course, it's probably not that accurate!

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You need to call for a replacement.

17. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

My MBP is no longer under warranty, so no luck here... :(

18. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Have you tried calling them?It is worth a shot, especially with one that bad. I am sure they will be happy to replace a crap battery to get it out of the system.

19. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

dont worry

i think i give my battery a real work out and hard use since my battery is either with me on the go in college or in the desk for long periods of time *ahem.. acquiring ahem*stuff, so its never the same pattern. i do deep cycle the battery after leaving it connected for a few days and when i dont have it charging for a long time i just leave charge it randomly even if i dont charge it fully. I also calibrate it once a month so maybe that the biggest factor for it being that healthy. i really dont know how to explain but i dont know if its because i m a mac tech or lucky with this :p

heres my proof for you guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG] and i dont know why coconut battery says 5 cycles??? since this macbook is one years old:eek:

20. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

This is after calibration. :(

21. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Yes, I tried. I went with my MBP to the store where it was checked by the Apple's employee. But because my MBP is no longer under warranty, I was told that I should buy a new battery.

22. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

It says 5 cycles and is giving a false reading because you are using an old version. it is at 2.6.3 currently.

23. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

thanks dindt know that :p i dont use coconut battery much