Coconut battery problems? anyone else

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcburrows, Sep 18, 2009.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Set up is
    2.66Ghz MBP with removable battery and airport express slot, running SL

I just bought a brand new battery (A1281 15inch uMBP)- coconut tells me it has 3 load cycles - presume from apple testing.

However the problem is that coconut battery keeps giving me different current capacity for it ranging from 4270-4604 (original battery charge 4600)

I have calibrated the battery according to apple recommendations
    1) Fully charge 10 hours (with 2 hours post full charge)
    2) Run down to sleep and let rest for 5 hours
    3) Recharge fully
    4) Use

I am just wondering if anyone else just gets quite different coconut battery results each time they run the program?

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i havent played too close attention to coconutbattery, but the battery health indicator in istat keeps ranging from 92-97%

i have the same series notebook, just the slower one. just hit 100 cycles a couple days ago.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's fairly normal for there to be some error in what software reports for battery capacity. 10% variation seems a little high, but it doesn't necessarily surprise me.

4. iWhoopu macrumors newbie

iWhoopu

I don't think Coconut Battery is trustworthy at all.
    I bought my MBP 15" Unibody 6 weeks ago, installed CB 2 days later, and it
    told me my MBP was 19 months old.
    Not possible....

Just last week I tried to install Linux in bootcamp and it went really sour, ended up dedicating all 320 gigs to Linux, thus formatting the whole thing.

Reinstalled MacOSX, and all of a sudden my MBP was rejuvenated to 8 months... still a little off I think.

Go figure... anyway I'm new here... but not with Mac ;), and hope I can help and be helped...:D

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've had to set the serial number in the preference panel of CB to get an accurate age of system. If you just download Coconut Batt. & open the system could come up at 28 months or whatever even if new.

Even after set properly by serial number the system will be a little older than you think it should be due to manufacture - deliver times.

I believe it is fairly accurate since CB, iStat and the system profiler all give me the same numbers at the same time.

6. iWhoopu macrumors newbie

iWhoopu

Well, thanks for that bit of info 'NC MacGuy'...I think I stand corrected then :)

So to get an accurate reading in CB, I have to buy a license?

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You're welcome.

No, you don't need a license.

Open CB.
    Under Coconut Battery in menu bar (upper left by :apple:) click preferences.
    In the preference panel dialogue box that pops up check box. w. custom serial number.
    Enter your system serial number from system profiler about this mac in the associated box. You can copy/paste if you want.
    Close box & save.
    Coconut battery should now have your proper mac age.

8. iWhoopu macrumors newbie

iWhoopu

There we go... 3 months, that's more like it.
    Thank you very much.

So... no reputation system here?:D

9. hotboxing macrumors newbie

yeah, I dont think coconut battery works very well.

It says the batter is 29 months old and has run 1179 cycles (which i could actually believe), but the battery is still reaching 99%. Either that or I have a super battery.